Thursday, November 01, 2007

Facebook Rant! (TKP)

(Just because I feel like ranting about something) :)

Why I think that Facebook is a plague on our society.....

1. I used to be able to keep up with people without too much trouble. Email appeared in my "inbox". Your blog showed pictures and described what you had been up to. Facebook has caused many of my friends to abandon their blogs (many have not been updated in months) and if I want to see what you have written to me, I have to search for it on one of several different areas of Facebook. Email has now become a treasure hunt!

2. The Facebook "friends" list: From what I can tell, most people's list consists of 223 people most of whom, if you saw them in your local mall, you would avoid by hiding behind a rack of clothing! Just because you know someone's name and put them on a list does not mean that you actually have any friends! Most of these people are my "friends" in the same way my mailman is! (No wait - at least the mailman actually comes to my house once in a while!) :)

3. Because Facebook is mostly open conversation (read by everyone), "How are you?" and "I am doing well" are about the deepest conversations you will have. I have more interesting conversations when I order my coffee at Tim Horton's.

4. I will never have the desire to "buy you a drink" and I rarely (If ever) feel the need to "throw a sheep" at you - so those applications are completely useless to me.

5. If you want to play Scrabble, come over to my house! I have a real board. We could play and have a real conversation! I may even let you win!

6. Just because your "Status" line tells me that So and So "is doing laundry" or "is sick of hearing Johnny Cash on the radio" or "likes the colour green" does not mean I actually know anything about who you are or what you are doing.... I may think I am keeping in touch with you but....

7. I don't care which "Desperate Housewife" I am most like (I wish I knew even one of their names because I would insert it here - alas I don't) and if I want to know how "alike" we are - I will probably just talk to you sometime.


For these reasons (and many more that I may list later), I am boycotting Facebook and I encourage you to do so too!


Whew! Thanks for "listening" to this (not to mention actually visiting a blog!). I feel much better! Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to go lurk on Sari's Facebook page - I may be missing something important! ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Typical whiny boy who needs some attention from his friends ....sorry all, he just thinks he is practicing his stand up act on you and you are at his mercy. He really loves facebook and all of my friends ;)p

Bryan and Jamie and family said...

This made me laugh b/c it is all so true. I have noticed that people have abandoned their blogs. I agree with all that you "ranted" about but I am still on there. Bryan is boycotting it as well.

www.blessings-upon-us.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I..........I um come look at the blogs more than facebook ........um but facebook is fun if you want brain dead fun(the pirate thing is fun at 2 am)

Davis Family said...

See Tim - this is where you and I are different - I have frequently wanted to throw a sheep at you. Well maybe at least sheep poop.
But of course never while your preaching!!
Berta

Anonymous said...

For a guy complaining about his friends abandoning his blog, He sure doesn't update often!!:) Ok, I will take my lippy self back to my facebook now. Tootles.

Anonymous said...

I am too busy lurking on on Sari's Facebook account to have time to update my blog - see what I told you??? It steals your life! It is evil!!!!!! :)