Monday, January 30, 2012

It is hard to be a modern Dad

 I am an old fashioned sort of guy... I like working on vehicles and getting my hands dirty... I get my hair cut at a "barber" not at a "salon" (well - actually Sari cuts my hair but that is beside the point).... and the thought of going for a massage makes my skin crawl (In fact, I gave myself the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it).

Some things about being a Dad and husband have not changed over the years.  For example, the need for Dad to be an "awe inspiring example of awesomeness" has not gone out of style.  People need someone to look up to.... someone to idolize.  I can't tell you how many times I have heard my kids say, "I wish I was as cool as my Daddy" (Ok.... most of the time I have supplied that voice for the girls.... and it was only heard in my own head..... but I could see it in their eyes!)


However, some things are different in this modern age.  I live with three females (and a very girly dog - even though he should not be) and I recognize that they need me to be more sympathetic to their "feelings" and other silly things like that.... so I work very hard at this aspect of "fathering" and "husbanding" (Is that really a word?  I think I am thinking of "husbandry" which means "to grow a crop"..... ah well - close enough).

For example, when the kids or Sari get sick (which it seems they often do - sniffles and such), I try to be supportive..... empathetic..... sympathetic..... and other "etic" things.  

I also try to offer them some good advice (distilled from my years of experience, knowledge and logic).   Helpful things like....... "GET AN IMMUNE SYSTEM!!!!"

So what happens when this sympathetic, caring, kind, modern "feeling" Dad gets sick ONCE in like 10 years?????  These sweet kind girls that I live with (including their mother to some extent) come to my death bed (which I valiantly fought back from mind you) and say...........

"Oh you look sick!  Are you sick?  You are looking a little half dead.  Are you sure that you are not dying?......  GET AN IMMUNE SYSTEM!!!!!"

I am telling you..... it is hard to be a modern, nice Dad.

Good thing I don't live with really bad kids!  :)

No comments: