Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A love/hate relationship at its finest

At times, I hate the internet!!!    (Can you actually say that while using the internet to broadcast that message???? Is there some sort of "Internet Screening protocol" that will flag this post and then send the "Internet police" to my house in the middle of the night, so they can kick down my front door, haul me out of bed and take me to some unknown "nerd location" where they will stick me under a bright light and keep slapping my face until I take back all the nasty things I have ever said about the internet??? We will see I guess...... If you do not hear from me after this post.... tell my motorcycle that I loved her!)

Anyway, twitter, Facebook.... the Kardashians.... need I say more????  The internet can be the greatest waste of time ever invented!! And then.......

One time, about two years ago, in Minot, I bought a book by a guy named "Peter Egan". Egan is a writer for "Cycle World" magazine and this book (called "Leanings") is a collection of his CW articles. It was great! I LOVED that book so much that I have read it three times already (and - no - not, as my kids suggested, because I did not understand it the first few times... ha, ha, ha!) :(

Well, Egan has another book out there, cleverly entitled "Leanings 2" (Creative dude, no?). For more than a year, anytime I am within 100 miles of a bookstore, I stop and ask about it and no one ever has it. Lots of copies of the older book, but none of the new one.

Enter the internet.... specifically Ebay and "Plumcircle" (whatever that is) in "West Mifflin, Pennsylvania". Btw,West Mifflin is way better than "East Mifflin" - you don't want one of those, trust me! (I am not sure what that last bit means... so you can just fill in your own blank there).

Brand new, hardcover, book.... cover price: $28.95 Cnd..... delivered to my door, shipping/taxes/etc in..... $12.53!!!!

 $12.53!!!!!!

How can I stay mad at you, internet, when you bring me cheap motorcycle books???

I can't!

I LOVE YOU!!!!!! :)

(Until you bring up Chris Brown and Rhianna.... or Ellen again.... then you are out!)

3 comments:

jerms said...

i might have to check these books out.

TKP said...

Hey Jerms :)

They are really good. The thing I really like about Egan is that he comes at the articles from many different directions: he restores bikes, races them, tests them for the magazine, he has done tons of cross-country trips and has done overseas riding - so he writes about the fun of travel and even how to pack. He also restores old cars and writes for "Car and Driver" and he plays in a blues band... so he is an interesting dude in lots of different ways and that makes his writing really interesting. And, because the chapters are simply columns from the magazine, they are short - so you can pick it up and read a few and then leave - no big commitment to a long book.

Well worth the real price much less the $12 one. :)

jerms said...

yeah that sounds awesome.
also i am pretty sure that is my dream job... riding different bikes and then writing about it? actually, check that, i would do that for free on weekends.