Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Well, its been awkward!

For those who don't know, our church baptizes people in a big water tank in our church building.  The process looks something like this......

Ok - it looks like that except we are inside, I have less hair than that dude and we usually don't have some blonde kid looking over our shoulders.  Other than that, it is similar.  I go into the water with the people and we "immerse" them.

The problem is that we don't have fancy, white baptismal clothes like the dudes in the picture.  We used to, but, honestly, it is hard to find "one size fits all" clothing that actually fits all and works well when wet.... so now I just tell people to wear whatever they want and we just go from there.

Well, two weeks ago I was about to baptize this really nice couple who has been coming to church for the last couple of years.  They invited their adult kids to come and they wanted me to explain to them what baptism was all about so that they would understand.

So there I was, standing in front of about 20 family members, explaining something that we believe is very important.  All was going well... until I got to the end of my explanation.

I had previously decided that I would not get changed before I baptized them.  It was Sunday afternoon and I was still wearing the dress clothes that I had worn to church that morning and I figured I would just go in the water wearing those.  Therefore, when it came time for the baptism I simply reached up and (while still talking) started undoing my tie.  Then, taking my eyes off the group, I bent over and took off my shoes.

And then everyone got really quiet

When I looked up again the entire family had this "I am not sure what baptism is all about but if he does not stop taking things off we are leaving"  sort of look on their faces. 

Feeling like I maybe made a bit of a mistake and looking for some assurance, I turned to Sari and the girls..... they were giving me the wide-eyed, "Please stop what you are doing.... RIGHT NOW!!!!" look.

So apparently there is a reason why we have change rooms.

People are such prudes!!!   :)



No comments: