Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Man's Best Friend - HA! :(

(Those who have weak stomachs and do not like even slightly gory details - maybe you should skip to the next posting - Tim) :)
Those of you who read Sari's last post will know that I was violently ill in Dauphin last week. I mean violently ill!!! I never get sick, but when I do it is a doosy! :)
I woke up at 2 am in the upstairs bedroom and I felt awful, so I got up and ran downstairs to main floor. Now the main floor bathroom is right beside my inlaws' bedroom, so being the kind and considerate (not to mention handsome) son-in-law that I am, I kept going down the stairs to the basement bathroom. Immediately upon arrival I was in trouble and so I did the only logical thing I could do - I threw up in the bath tub. (Some may not see this as a "logical" occurrence, but, believe me, considering the alternative it was!) :)
Now, my lovely and nice wife followed me downstairs and when she arrived and saw what was happening she promptly announced "Oh gross!!! That is disgusting! There is no way you are coming back to bed with me!" (If you ask her she will tell you that she was trying to be kind and said "Oh you poor dear! Let me make a bed for you in this room so that you can stay down here - nice and close to the bathroom" - but I know better than that!) :)
Every 1/2 hour from 2 am till 5:30 am I was in the bathroom (here comes the somewhat gory part)...... 6 sessions of throwing up 3 full times. Throw up 3 times - go to bed - get up - throw up 3 times, etc (It was so bad that, by the end, I was throwing up stuff that I hadn't even eaten!)
So what does this have to do with the title of this post ("Man's best friend - HA!") you ask?
Another valid question at this point may be, "Why am I wasting my time reading this at all?"
While I have no answers for the second question - I can fill in the dog part for you.
Murphy's kennel (with Murphy sleeping in it) was right beside the bathroom door. Every time my "parade of puke" forced me to get up, I had to turn the light on (how else would I possibly have found the tub again, right?) and each and every time I turned on the light on, I could hear Murphy in his kennel take a deep, deep breath and then let out this sound....

"SSSSSSiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!"

He sighed at me like 16 times that night!!!

And I don't mean a "Oh that is too bad" sigh. It was an, "OH BROTHER!!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING, MAN???? I AM TRYING TO SLEEP HERE!!!!" sigh.

No sympathy! No whimpers of concern! Nothing!! Just 16 big, inconvenienced, sighs!

Maybe, though, he would have been a little more sympathetic had I not laughed and laughed at him while he ran around the yard during the whole "Hydrogen peroxide" incident (see earlier post). Oh well!

Man's best friend - HA! I DON'T THINK SO!!!! :)

(Ps. The rest of the story..... I Stopped throwing up at 5:30 am - ran a fever and slept a good share of the day - ate some soup at 3 pm - some potatoes at 6 pm - then I did what any smart, highly fevered, weak from throwing up, Canadian prairie boy would do - I went to a Dauphin Kings hockey game! And now, I feel fine! Hockey - good for what ails ya!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe nobody commented on this post yet. Tim you are sooo gross! Sorry, I really do feel bad for you! It's not your fault you are gross but, you know, I deal with many types of bodily fluids with my job but puke is pretty much my limit. I think I would do the same as Sara.
Anyways this was my first visit to your blog and I must say it was enjoyable, thanks Tim! I will be back.
Hope to see you guys soon.

Erica said...

Well, don't you know that it is all about the dog... I mean dogs are there to be pampered, petted, fed, loved, walked, etc.. they aren't exactly there to comfort you when you are sick.

Unless you puke up something that looks good - then they help "clean up"... (I had such a dog - believe me - the inconveninced sigh is much better!)

I mean - really - what do you expect!

Anonymous said...

Tim I would have to say I do feel sorry for you but poor puppy could you image what he had to listen to? and let's not even go there with the smell .... You have a good wife she followed you down I must say I probably wouldn't even had noticed Doug leave. TEE HEE
Very funny read! Glad you are feeling better