Usually my posts are silly (so silly that Sari has completely abandoned this blog as you may have noticed), but not today. This afternoon I attended the funeral of a 22 year old who was killed in a traffic accident on the weekend. I did not know him, but I know his dad - and that is the part I want to talk about.
Among other things, his parents (Bob and Trish) got up to talk to us about their son (Jared). In part, here is what Bob said...
"Go home tonight and hug your kids and tell them you love them. Tell your husband or wife how much they mean to you. Kids go and hug your parents. You never know when you may not have that chance again - we didn't".
I know that is not a new thought - but it was a powerful one coming these two grieving parents - and as they talked their was not a dry eye in the room. They are people of faith and they were an amazing example in a very hard time. Their words really made me want to be with my family - my girls and Sara as well as my extended one - my friends and my church family. I was reminded what was important.
A line from one of the songs that was sung said, "Love as if today is goodbye" - that is not bad advice.
At 8 o'clock tonight, I got a call to go to the hospital to spend time with a family who is sitting with their father in his last days. It was a privilege to be there and to be with them in that special time - and it reminded me again - life is short whether you are 22 or 82.
I got the message today - and I just had to share it with you.
2 comments:
Thanks for sharing that Tim. We all need to be reminded to think on what is important and to spend our time wisely - we only have so much of it.
Hey Tim, very deep and very touching and powerful. How we often take things for granted eh! Thanks man.
Post a Comment