So I am not sure whether this entry is one of joy or sadness.... I will let you decide.Over the last week, our less than two year old dryer has been making "granking" sounds (similar to the sounds that Sara makes when she has discovered that she has gone shopping but forgot her credit card at home) :) So we did the only logical thing we could do (logical if you read these posts very often), we tore it apart!!!!
We had that dryer spread all over the laundry room - top off - back off - drum out - everything. Start the motor - runs for 8 seconds and seizes up solid. Turn it by hand - start it - 8 seconds - dead! Just as I was about to declare that a bearing in the motor had piled up and started hauling the machine parts outside - I heard a "tick" when I turned the motor. Upon closer inspection, I saw that a draw string from a hoodie (a "Bunny hug" for you old timers) was wrapped around the motor shaft. I carefully unwound it - and "tada" - we reassembled (most of) the parts of the dryer and it is back in business. Did 5 loads today, no problem! Saved us several hundred dollars!!!!
And the best part: Sari and I did this together without fighting (much). :) That is a huge step forward!! Normally we both want to be the boss (we are both "first children" after all) and we would likely almost kill one another (Ask about putting together the "TV armoire" in our living room sometime - that was..... interesting!)
The other story has to do with my motorcycle. I got it out last week and it would not start. After 5 days, several battery re-charges, a new siphon pump to get the old stinky gas out of the thing (I learned not to siphon gas with my mouth anymore since the last time I sucked gas down my throat and it came out my nose - my nose bled a lot and I could smell gas for a week) - drained the carburetors five or six times and away it went.
So here is the quesiton: Are we cursed b/c all of our stuff is falling apart around us, or blessed b/c we have been able to fix them ourselves - and not kill one another in the process? (See other gripping stories on this blog about repairing water coolers and ovens and vacuums and......)
Happy or sad - you decide for me.
I have made my choice!
3 comments:
perhaps both??!!?? Cursed with having to do the work, but blessed with gifts and talents to make things all better??
I am so proud of both of you! I think I can be as a parent...
Hmmm should I have told you about that bile in the frist place....he he
Post a Comment