Saturday, April 19, 2008

PERMIT me to introduce..... (Garage Part 2) TKP


Everyone here has been telling me, "Get your building permit early - it can be really tough to get", so I have been worrying about it. Finally, I went and got the form and, sure enough, it was confusing!

Questions like, "What will the height of the building be, above grade level, at the mid-point between the ridge and the eve?" Hmmm - well the wall is 10 feet, the mid-point of the truss is another 2 feet above that but I have no idea how thick the pad will end up being! And how do you measure grade level - off of the ground around it or off of the fill gravel that surrounds it????? They also wanted the cost of the building - is that exact figures or round numbers???? Who knows??? Lots of fun stuff like that). So Sari and I basically filled it in as best we could and I thought, "Well - if we did it wrong he will call us - hopefully we have it in a week or two".

I took the form to city hall - he looked at it - asked where the windows were going to go - figured out the cost of permit and said, "You are good to go!" It took 3 minutes and he barely looked at anything!!! Now it is a straight-forward little garage, but I worried and worried and I had the permit in hand in less time than it took to enter my PIN code for my card to pay for it. :)

I just hope that he is that hard to deal with through the entire inspection process.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad for you getting your very own garage! Make sure you call when you are ready to build, we will be there to help out!

Davis Family said...

I have tagged you! See my blog to figure that out.