Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A reminder

So Megan forgot her binder this morning.

The one I saw on the floor last night and said, "Hey, is this your binder?"

The one to which she replied, "Ya it is mine.  I will put it in my backpack tomorrow... No, I won't forget!"

Then, just as I am going out the door, the call came, "Can you bring me......"

I was a little annoyed (In former days, I would have been mad.... this time I was just a little annoyed).  However, I told her that I would meet her near the front of the school and give it to her.

As I rode up to the school on my motorcycle, I could see a handful of kids standing near the flagpole.  Then I remembered, "Oh ya, it is 'Meet me at the pole' day today" (For those who don't know - that is a day where Christian students around the world meet at the flagpole of their school to pray for their school, their teachers and their friends).

Then I looked again..... and saw both of my daughters standing there.

Sometimes it is easy to focus only on things that could be better, right?  My kids aren't perfect and neither are their parents.... we have disagreements and see things differently at times.  We misunderstand each other and have to go "make up".  We love each other but not everything is smooth and easy.

But this morning was a good reminder.... "I have some good kids!"

That may sound like bragging.... and it is.  But it is not arrogant bragging..... it is thankful bragging.  I am glad for their hearts.  I am thankful for their friends.  I am thankful that they can make good choices and that they are brave enough to be themselves (It takes some guts to stand there with the "Christian kids" while all your teachers and friends walk by).

I know that the end of the story is not yet written and that we have a long way to go.... but for that moment when I pulled up at the school, I thought, "I am glad those are my kids.... and I am glad for their mom who, mostly, made them who they are".  And I told them that too.

It was a good way to start the day.  It is an image that will go with me for a long time.

And I am glad Megan forgot her binder.


1 comment:

SRL said...

Well said my friend, well said.