Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Maybe I am alone in this........

 

So the fair is in town this week.... and I am SHOCKED by the number of people who have said to me, "I am not going to the fair" or (cover your ears if you are sensitive) "I HATE the fair".

Hate the fair?????

Isn't that the moral equivalent to kicking puppies down the stairs?????

I mean where else can you eat a bunch of garbage, be spun around until you want to be sick, smell carnies (and believe me - there is a smell) and blow over $400 in less than two hours?????  Come on!!!!

The fair used to be THE EVENT when I was a kid.  I loved riding the rides (I still do in fact.... wanna go right now???).  I loved the lights at night.  There was just something about being on the midway.

Now, I will admit that as I walked around Estevan's fair this year I thought, "This does not feel quite the same".  Not sure why.  Maybe it lacked the sound of rock music blasting out of the rides.... maybe it was just a little too small this year.... maybe it was that I was at a meeting and by the time I got there most of the crowd had left...... whatever the case, I am still glad I went and I still like the fair.

I am not being judgmental toward those who did not go.  In fact, I will admit to the fact that I was shocked at what the night cost us this year, so if you bailed based on finances, I get that.  

However, I think it was worth the $4 admission just to people watch and to walk around and visit with 1/2 the town (Seriously, you could not go two feet without seeing someone you knew - small towns, right?)

The thing is, I just cannot remember a year when so many people said, "I am not going".

So..... do you like the fair at all?   If not, why not?   

On the bright side (for me) when I got there the admission gate was closed, so I got in for free.   Then, as we walked the midway, I found 25 cents..... so I actually made money at the fair this year (If you don't include the pile of cash the girls blew through).

It was sort of a success story anyway!  :)

No comments: