When I was a kid, I thought that the drivers who raced against one another at the Indy 500 ONLY raced against each other at the Indy 500. In other words, this race in May was their one and only time to see who was the best of the best.
When I got older, of course, I found out the Indy 500 was only one part of a larger tour and that these guys raced against each other every weekend for most of the year.
To say the least, that was disappointing.... and it made the Indy 500 something less than it was to me originally.
The Olympics are the same story.
As a kid, I thought that the Olympics were the only time in four years that these competitors saw one another. I guess that may have been true when the modern Olympics were born and travel was much more difficult.... but of course now that is not the case.
In fact, speed skaters, figure skaters, bobsledders, snowboarders and almost every other sport represented there see each other many times in a year and some even train together.
It is sort of a joke, don't you think?
I mean, "Big deal!" this week you are competing for a medal that has rings on it instead of a PetroCanada Logo (or whatever).
So you are doing your sport in the same city that everyone else is doing their sport and we are calling you teammates with the rest of your country men..... WHO CARES???? Canadian figure skaters still have to beat the same two people named Evgeni and Svetlana that they had to beat in Ottawa last week. SO WHAT????
The only exception to this rant are the team sports.... like hockey. There you actually have something unique. Guys from the same country - who never play together - get together and see if our country is better than yours. Perfect! That is different.... interesting.... worth watching even.
Unless you are talking about women's hockey.... then it is even more of a joke because the Canadian and US teams play together all year and they play each other 4608496890 times per year. Yay!!! Canada vs the USA - the only teams who could win gold - are playing AGAIN!!!
Don't get me wrong.... I will likely waste a good share of the next week in front of the TV watching things I would never normally watch (Like Biathlon), but I still think it s stupid! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment