Monday, August 17, 2015

It is ON!!!!!

Seven times!!!

That is how many times I got stung by wasps yesterday (give or take a few.... after the first 5 or so it is hard to keep track).

It isn't that I had anything against them.  In fact, I did not even know that they were there, but after moving a few things in the back corner of our yard they decided to introduce themselves to me.

Before yesterday, I have lived a relatively sting-free existence and most of the ones that I have had were from bees.  Wasps are a whole different ballgame though.  Those things are ANGRY!!!

After the first two got me, I thought to myself "I think I have just been stung!"  Those few seconds of recognition was all it took for every wasp in the world to rally and attack me.  When I finally ran to Sara (after about 5 stings) I still had several wasps clinging to my shirt trying to kill me!  She smacked a few more off of me, but not before they landed a few more direct hits (did you know that wasps - unlike bees - can sting you several times as their stingers are not supposed to come off???  I say "not supposed to" because, somehow, several did come off and remained lodged in my arm and my fingers).  My left hand, left arm and right side were very swollen (I could not bend my fingers at one point), red and itchy!

So now I am plotting my revenge! 

I have a can of Raid in my truck and I think that if I dress up in full biker gear (leather jacket, riding pants, boots, gloves, etc) then I will be fine.  I will attack their ground-based nest at eleven hundred hours... a fully armed fight to the death!!

Now, some may think that I is a little pathetic that I am plotting revenge against creatures whose brains are theoretically much smaller than mine.... but (in the words of every 4 year old that has ever fought with his or her siblings".... "They started it!"

Let's just call it a "Unplanned relocation project".  

One of us has to go!

5 comments:

Lenny said...

I say forget the Raid as they still may get through between the coat and the helmet and if they get up between your vison and face it will be real bad. Take the safe route like I did. The Scorched Earth Approach !! Take you some gas and dump a bunch in the vicinity of the varmints. Then lead a trail of gas back a safe distant and Lighter UP. It will be like Hiroshima to them

TKP said...

Always error on the side of "not that safe" = Lenny's motto! :)

Fire may have been an option except for a few factors....

1. There is a fire ban on right now

2. The camper is a foot from the nest

3. The nest is in the corner of the yard between the fences and the camper.... easier to shoot Raid in from 10 feet away than to sneak in with a gas can and a trail. However, I now know who to call next time.

TKP said...

4. The nest was in/under my composter so the the fire would have been something else.

Anonymous said...

Wasps go dormant at night, so best attack at 11pm (2300 hrs)

If their stingers are still stuck in you take them out. The stingers are stuck to venom sacks and will keep pumping wasp venom after they have been ripped out of their bodies.

Good luck in the war.

Justin Mooney said...

Pfft. Be a man and just go in there fighting. Forget the wasp spray. Middle of the day, in cargo shorts, no shirt. Show them you are not afraid.