Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I have learned my Christmas shopping lesson - TKP

About a month ago, I saw a "Best of Mr. Bean" DVD in Walmart and I thought to myself, "I should buy that for the girls". They LOVE Mr. Bean. There were like 578039485690386938683990 copies of it there though, so I figured, "Ah - I will pick it up sometime".

Two weeks ago I went back to get it and they were all sold out! I asked the unhelpful Walmart electronics girl if they had more coming in - she said that she did not know (and, apparently, checking the computer would have been a silly thing to do) and so I left. I checked every day for a week - nothing!

Last week, I started getting desperate! This was THE gift for my girls (When we go to visit one of the members of the congregation, the kids always grab their Mr. Bean DVD..... and laugh and laugh and laugh!!!) - so I sucked up my pride and I asked for help. I got people in Regina to look for it (nothing). People in Moose Jaw looked for it (Nothing). I called Weyburn's Walmart (nothing). I even had Sari's brother looking for it in Ohio (nothing)!

I was sad! :( It was not a big present, but it was one that they would have liked and it would have said that their dad knew them well. That is when Sari (gently) reminded me that this is exactly the reason she started shopping for Christmas stuff more than a month and a half ago. She got everything she wanted before the 1st of December. No rush. No worries. No problem.

And then today - one last shot: I went back to the Estevan Walmart and what do I find? A whole stack of "The Best of Mr Bean" DVDs!!!!!!!! :) I was so happy!!! Christmas has been saved!!!!

Now - upon reflection - here is what I have learned from this experience.......


I started shopping too early!!!

If I had not gone shopping a month ago, I never would have seen the DVD. Then, if I had not gone shopping 2 weeks ago, I would not have realized that they did not have the DVD because I would not have even known it existed in the first place! Then that would have meant that I would not have had to suck up my pride and ask my friends and relatives to run all over the place looking for this DVD.

If I had not done anything until today (December 19th) everything would have been perfect! I would have just walked into Walmart and "Voila" - "One Mr Bean, please" and it would be over. No stress! No hassle! No problem!

Next year I am going to make it really stress free - I am not going to start shopping until December 24th! :)

And people say that I am too stubborn to learn from my mistakes! Ha! :)

2 comments:

Jen Mooney said...

I learned not to help you anymore!

Anonymous said...

reading this blog made me think of how you would react to the crazimess of a black friday shopping trip.....maybe we should take you down there next year- film you going postal and then make a small fortune when it becomes a movie. Sara- can you imagine?? It could be our ticket... of course it could become Tim's ticket to 40 years in Leavenworth....maybe not such a good idea.
"Nancy"