So I a friend of mine - lets call him "Sally" (why? Because I like the name Sally and no one ever names their kids Sally anymore. Why is that? When is the last time you met a Sally? Does anyone know a Sally? Seriously! Even more rare would be a guy named Sally - so that is the name I am giving him to protect his identity because it is not really Sally) - came and got me for coffee this afternoon. We ended up going to Tim Horton's and - because Sally drove - I paid.
We sit down at the table and I offer Sally the choice of "roll up the rim" cups and he chooses one. I look at mine - nothing (I have not won a thing all year). Sally rolls his up and it says, "Win a netbook!"
Sally says, "What is a netbook?"
I explain that it is a mini-computer.... worth maybe $300 - 400.
Now here is the question: What should Sally have done at that point?
I bought the coffee - but I gave Sally the choice of cups. Sally chose his and I got what was left over (by my choice - I could have gone first but didn't).
Should Sally have said, "You bought coffee - it is your cup and your computer" or did Sally win on the cup that was Sally's and the computer is his?
As it turns out, Sally said, "Lets go claim this thing". He got the form to fill out and that was that. Sally is taking the computer.... and the funny part is that Sally does not like computers - Sally does not even have an internet connection. :)
It may turn out that Sally comes back and offers it to me after all, but even if not - it is worth it just to have this story to tell. :)
PS. Please don't ask the identity of "Sally" - I could tell you but then.... well you know the next part right? :)
6 comments:
Be careful what you say about Sally. He may take his new notebook, get internet and come read what you have to say about him :-) But you are right the story is worth more then the note book.
I haven't said anything bad.
I was careful about that b/c others read this and I did not want it to get back to him that I thought he should have given me the notebook.
I figured it was his fair and square - he took that cup.... if I did not want him to win I should have kept both cups, right?
At Sari's school though the stated rule is "Buyer wins" all the time. The theory being you already got a free coffee out of the deal - you should not get the free car too.
Opinions?
I think it's funny that you called him Sally--we call Matthew that sometimes, and I know that my sister calls one of her boys that sometimes too! So, I guess not so uncommon after all! :-)
P.S. I have no opinion (or at least not one I will state)--but great story!
Tracy
He should have given you your coffee money back!!!
My rule is if I buy coffee the prize is mine... if you buy coffee I give you $1.50 back!!!
Darin
That is an interesting compromise.... I have never heard that one before..... takes away the whole "You got a free coffee - you should not get a free car too" argument for sure (though you may have trouble convincing me that it is still fair when you wait to give me my money back until AFTER you find out if you win or not) :)
It is going to start a war sometime - I guarantee it!
Buy your wife a coffee and you won't have to ask any of this...:0
Post a Comment