Every Wednesday night I read English with people who are new to Canada. Normally, I read with a very nice guy from Korea, but he could not be there tonight. Fortunately, there was a new "nice guy from Korea" there, so I sat down and asked him to read a portion of the book of Luke (we use the Bible as an English text).
When he finished I said, "Wow! You read really well! Very clear... easy to understand...very good!"
He said, "My English is not good. I can read, but I do not understand. I have been here 2 years and I am very bad at English".
I said, "Come on! You are doing great! Look, you just read a whole paragraph to me. Not only that, you are carrying on a conversation with me. My other friend has been trying to teach me Korean for 2 years and I only know one word, so you are doing well".
"What Korean word do you know?" he asked.
I said my word.... and he just stared at me. So apparently I don't even know one word!
Then - to make matters worse - I went and told this story to a friend of mine who was visiting with a lady from Germany. When she heard this story, she said, "Well, you still remember the German I taught you, right?"
I said that I did. In fact, I said that I remembered several words. Then I proceeded to mash some of them together into a nice sounding phrase.
The lady started laughing at me and would not stop. When I asked her why she was laughing she said, "You just said, 'I will crazy'".
So maybe my career as a translator will have to be put on hold for now. :)
But, as the German's say, "Egal" (that is the only other German word I know.... it really means something.... look it up)
_____
Three questions......
1. How many movies do you watch on average (either per month or per year)?
2. What was the first record/CD/Album/8-track/45 (whatever era you are from) that you ever bought?
3. What was the first real concert you attended?
(I will give my answers in the coming days - comment below)
_____
T-shirt of the day (in honour of my language confusion.....)
Have a good week. Hug the ones you love just b/c they are there!
No comments:
Post a Comment