
For more than 20 years, Tom Jackson has been gathering up Canadian talent and crossing the country in the month of December to raise money for local food banks. The project is called "The Huron Carole".
A few years ago, the "Carole" hit Dauphin and Sari's parents went to see it. They liked it so much that tehy bought us a CD which we have played so much that we have about worn it out (if that were possible with a CD).
Last night, the "Carole" came to Estevan.... and it was great! What a nice night!
The concert was supposed to be held at the rink but they did not sell enough tickets so they moved it to a smaller venue (the Church of God). To compensate those who paid the higher ticket price for the arena concert, the organizers set up a "meet and greet" prior to the concert, We were going to skip it, but am I ever glad that we didn't as that was one of the most interesting parts of the evening. Some observations.......
1. Tom Jackson is huge!!! Like tall..... like super tall!!! I would give money to the food bank just because he told me to .... "Ummm - sure I want to donate Mr. Jackson! Will all my life savings be enough????? Want me to go beat someone up and steal their money and donate it too??? Whatever you want....." :)
2. I need to learn to shake hands like Tom..... it was really weird! He is one of those guys who doesn't just say "hey" and go on..... he takes your hand in both of his and looks you in the eye.... in other contexts or from other people that may seem really creepy..... but not in this case. He treated everyone as if they were the most important person on earth. As I said, I need to make a note of that (not the two handed shake part necessarily - but the "most important person" part). It was cool!
3. Susan Aglukark is very classy. I really liked her. She seems like someone I would like to have coffee with.... it bet she has some interesting stories to tell. I think she liked me too because after she sang she came and sat right beside me (or right beside the sound board to hear how things were sounding.... one or the other.... either way - she came and sat right beside me)
4. Matt Dusk (a Michael Buble-ish sort of singer) had great hair.... as you can see here......

When he came in, the girls commented on it and one of the ladies at our table (the wife of one of the teachers at the comp) thought they really liked him - so she made them get a picture with him. I was too funny! The girls were so embarrassed - which does not happen that often. I will post the pictures when we get them.
5. I was super impressed with a singer named Sarah Slean. She came and sat with us and she was funny and engaging... really nice. I had never heard of her before but she was nominated for a Juno in 2003 as "New artist of the Year" . I really liked her voice too.... you should check her out (You can find her web site here).
Anyway, it was just a fun and fulfilling night. The tour is still on... they are in S'toon tonight (Dec 7th), Regina tomorrow Dec 9th) and heading west (Check tour dates here). Tom Jackson has raised millions for food banks over the years and it was nice just to be part of his night and supporting his good idea.
A night out with family and friends.... good music.... and a good cause. What could be better than that? :)
1 comment:
That sounds super cool!! Great event for Estevan and great cause. I always thought Tom Jackson seemed like a classy sort of guy.
Post a Comment