Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Yikers! Holidays are coming right??????

I need a quick brain break, so I decided that I would update you on our week so far......

- Saturday night Megan was babysitting so she missed out, but Katie and Sari and I went to an "Estevan Acappella Singers" concert.  It was held at the Catholic church building and it was really nice.  Christmas music, candlelight.... very nice evening.

- Sunday we had church and then our farewell to Paul and Crystal Quilliams.  That was hard on me b/c I do a lot with Paul (Motorcycles, squash, Grey Cup parties, etc, etc) so that was an afternoon of laughter and tears.

- After that  was over, we went to a friend's house for his "39th Birthday party".   Very fun!  Saw some people that we know from town.... met some new people.... ate snacks.... what could be better?  :)

- From there we went to the "Rotary Carol Festival" to watch the girls sing with their group from the Comp.  Again a very nice night.... followed by a visit with some other friends at "Cold Stone".   (So essentially - except for a few minutes in between things - we left home at 9:30 am and did not return until 10:30 pm)

-  On Friday I also got a call to say that one of our church members, Ray Smith, had passed away.  His  funeral is on Thursday and so my week of nothing (I had planned a free week before Christmas holidays to read and plan for the new year) has gone up in smoke.  One very nice thing:  their son John (Scrawney to most of you) preaches in Red Deer and so he has been through the funeral thing many times.  Meaning.....  by the time I showed up to meet with the family Monday morning, he had everything organized (Pallbearers in place.... songs chosen.... readings selected.... called those he wanted to have help.  It was great!)  So I am in the middle of organizing the last details and writing the funeral lesson (hence the need for a break).   It will be a "good funeral" (if there is such a thing).  Ray was a God honouring person about whom there is much good to say..... so it will be a matter of trying to cut down the material not add to it. I am honoured to be part of the process of saying goodbye to him.... it is just that we have a lot going on.    (Side note:  Please, please, please.... live a good life.... if for no other reason than it makes your funeral way easier for you preacher!   I have done some where we were scraping the bottom of the barrel to get something good to say..."Well - he never wore stripes and polka dots at the same time"..... that sort of thing).

-  Then my truck died.  Every time a funeral comes along, my truck dies.   Once I was supposed to be at the funeral home for a viewing and to meet the family and I laying under the back of the truck re-wiring the brake lights b/c they had quit working.   This time it would not start.   What I thought was going to be a 5 minute fix turned into a three hour fight last night and another few minutes today..... but all is well (other than my scraped knuckles.... and my attitude).   Maybe people need to quit having funerals..... or maybe I need a better truck!  

- On top of all this, we are trying to get presents wrapped for our early family Christmas on Friday and then get packed up to go away for a few days.  Again our relaxing week sort of blew up.   Sari had an event at school dropped in her lap when the lady planning it got sick..... it has been quite a week.

So - needless to say - if we survive until the holidays, we may just curl up in a ball and sleep the whole thing away.

It can't come too soon!!!!

No comments: