Sunday, April 05, 2009

Adventures with Animals

No the title of this blog does not related to Western Christian College's Homecoming (though - come to think of it....) :)

I am writing this at 9:11 am on Sunday and I have never seen everyone sooooo tired! We were at Homecoming in Regina and we did not have any "early nights". Friday night we hung out at Jen and Justin's and stayed up till 2 am and then last night..........

We left Regina at about 10 pm and started out for home. At about Corrine we came around a corner only to see something on the road - whether it was already dead or not I am not sure - but it was after we hit it. Skunk!!!!!! :( You know how you often smell a skunk and think, "Oohh - well it will go away soon"? Well this one just did not! The stink got worse and worse. Almost and hour later we stopped in Weyburn at 7-11 to get some snacks and as soon as I opened the door it smelled like we had dragged the skunk all the way from Corrine with us! The girls and I went inside - Sari sat in the van and she said it was so funny to watch people walk past - they would be talking and then "Eeeewww" and run away. By the time we came back out there was no one parked within 100 yards of us! :)

So we sucked it up and got going again - almost home - Sari and Megan are sleeping - it is getting to be about 12:15 am and I am thinking, "Well, we are almost home" and just then a huge buck (at first I thought it was a cow it was so fat) jumped out of the ditch and onto the road. So I slammed on the brakes - Sari woke up with a shriek (Seriously - I have never heard a sound like that before - I think the deer ran away not because of the van racing towards him but because of Sari's "Deer whistle" scream!). The kids screamed - junk flying everywhere - I am not sure what happened to the dog in the backseat - but we got stopped and the deer took off. So we took the last 10 miles or so a little slower and finally made it home.

When we went to get stuff out of the back of the van - I think we found the rest of the skunk! Somehow the smell was worse when we got home than it was in Weyburn! In fact, it was so bad that we did not even park in the garage - just left it outside so that it could air out. I have never smelled anything like that.

Speaking of never smelling anything like it.... did I mention that we saw some of our former classmates this past weekend? :) The reunion was fun - nice to see people again - but next time maybe we will go home in the daytime!

3 comments:

Jen Mooney said...

Guess you should have stayed at our house another night :)

Dawn said...

Ya, if you had just stayed in Regina one more night, come to the class party and stayed up till 4 with the rest of us, driving home would have been much easier!!! lol It was soooo great to see you guys and trade jabs with ya like old times.....I will ignore the smell comment ;) Your kids are great, your wife still beautiful, but you are old, let's face it! Love ya....see you in 10 years! lol

TKP said...

Dawn, I only have one thing to say..... "I know there's water, water in the plan... yes there's water, water in the plan....." (It is in your head now isn't it???? You are welcome!) :)

PS. It was Steve and Harv that sang that song - Jamie is just blocking out the pain. :)