Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Mother's Day Present Adventure


Over the years, I have proven poor at buying presents for my wife (something about actually having to listen to her when she says, "Oooh - that is nice" so that I know what I should buy - or something like that - I was only 1/2 listening at the time). Anyway - many times my presents have been "ok" but not "great"....... However, this year's Mother's Day present topped them all!!

Every time we see a Red Willow bush growing in a field somewhere, Sari always says, "Those are so pretty! We should have one of those in the yard". So this year I decided that I would get her a Red Willow for Mother's Day (Unconventional, I know, but at least it was something she wanted, right?)

Unfortunately, our tree nursery closed down, so I was left to find a wild one to dig up. After talking to several farmers, I determined that most of them consider this stuff no better than a weed and that I could dig up whatever I found - so the search was on.

Last Friday (two days before the big day), I was off work and Sari and the kids were at school. I was going to do some work on my motorcycle, or on our camper, but it was -1 outside. Since it was too cold to work, I decided to go dig up a willow.

Willows like water, so I started my search in the Souris river valley. After driving for a while I came to a bend in the river that had a ton of Red Willow bushes, so I stopped the truck, got the shovel, ran down the bank and started digging. Surprisingly, the Willow came out very easily (muddy ground) so in no time I was done and ready to go back up. That is when things went wrong!

I told you that I was going to work on my Bike and camper - so I was dressed for that: work boots, big fleece coat, sweatshirt, etc. Unfortunately, I have had my work boots for 10 years and there is no grip left on the soles - worn completely flat - not a good thing on a muddy riverside!

As I started to climb back up the bank, with a shovel in one hand and a Red Willow in the other, I started to slip. By the time I threw the shovel and willow away, it was too late. I spun around and bellyflopped off the 4 foot bank right into the Souris River. Over my head - fully clothed - wallet in my back pocket - all by myself - 20 miles from home - at minus 1 Celcius!

I scrambled up the bank as best I could (think muddy and steep climb) - grabbed the shovel and the STUPID WILLOW - got to the top of the hill - checked to see if any cars were coming (b/c it would be embarrassing at this point to have to retell this story to a stranger on the road side) - got to my truck - peeled off as many clothes as decently possible (and then some) and started driving back to town.

On the way out I was thinking, "What if I have an accidental and die out here on the road? Sari will always wonder what I was doing going out of town this morning". How much more so if they found my truck abandoned by the side of the road and my body floating in the river a 1/2 mile away? :)

Anyway - got home - had a hot tub (b/c by now I am feeling a little hypothermic) - dried out all the important papers in my wallet and waited to show Sari this stupid willow....... and she LOVED it!!!! Seriously! One free willow was worth more than the hundreds of dollars of other presents I have ever tried to buy her. In fact, we planted it in a prominant spot in the yard just so that she can see it every day.

So the moral of the story: Learn to listen when your wife says, "Ooh - I like that" and then almost drown yourself in the process of obtaining whatever it was - and you will have the perfect gift! :)

4 comments:

Davis Family said...

I LOVE THIS STORY. It made spending mother's day chasing the kids while my husband watched hockey with my dad and brother almost worth it!!

Dawn said...

Wow, this story sounds like it could almost rival the worst day of your life, and it also involved free weeds!! lol

Anonymous said...

What a sweet husband you are! LaWanda

Anonymous said...

Best gift ever...
Thanks love
Sara