Monday night we were sitting around the fire pit in the backyard when I looked up and saw a light streaking across the sky. I have seen lots of satellites at night (especially at the camp) but this one was much bigger and much faster - so I decided to try to figure out what it was.
Turns out that it was the "International Space Station". How do I know? I looked it up on NASA's website. It has a listing of all the satellites, the ISS and any shuttles that may be overhead and when you can see them. All you have to do it go to this site.......
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/home/index.html
Then go to "Real time data" at the top - click on "sighting opportunities" and then fill in the country listing on the left and follow the instructions. In the end, you will get a chart for every day - time, place to look, how long the pass will last, etc.
This month "Popular Mechanics" has a whole section dedicated to the 40th anniversary of the moon landing, so I am getting excited about space stuff again. I have read several astronaut bios, etc, so I think the NASA site is very cool. Lots of stuff to see and learn. Go have a look.
PS. The ISS goes over Estevan at 10:37 tonight, so I am dragging Sari off to a dark location to watch it..... "Wanna see the Space Station baby?"..... who could resist an offer like that????? :)
4 comments:
You are SO cool in your old age.
Are you mocking me???? You are mocking me!!!!
Go have a look (both on the site and in the sky - then mock how "cool" I am - if you can) :)
Oh, Tim...between the Mother's Day adventure (which by the way would have been even harder to explain had you been found dead AND 1/2-naked) and the invitation to your wife to go "parking" under the guise of watching the sky for satellites and such, it shows all of us what a romantic you really are! You should really write a book for those poor souls out there who don't have much luck in coming up with ways to woo the ladies! ;-)
My thoughts EXACTLY! :)
I will put you (or maybe Lenny) down for the first copy!
Post a Comment