Fourteen years ago, we were blessed with Megan. Having already been given one sweet little girl, we now had two... and both of them have changed our lives in ways that have been nothing but good.
For her birthday, Megs wanted us to eat Chinese food and watch a sappy chick flick that she had picked out. I somewhat reluctantly agreed (what am I going to do? I was outnumbered and it was her birthday) and am I ever glad I did!
In the movie, a Dad who was estranged from his daughter gets to spend the summer with her... she is mad and predictably pouty.... then she meets a boy (who is "dreamy" apparently)... she opens up... starts to live and love.... blah blah blah (you can fill in the "Chick flick standard form" here).
Anyway - at the end of the summer (and the movie) the Dad gets cancer and dies (Nothing says "Happy Birthday" like a good funeral film.... am I right?).
The good part: watching this Dad and his daughter say "good-bye" made me think about my life and how blessed I am..... a beautiful and wonderful wife.... two lovely, funny young ladies for daughters.... I have a job that I love (99 days out of 100).... I have good friends.... I am close to my family (on both sides).... I live 5 miles from a stock car track (A strange thing to include on this list I know, but a little perk in my book .... and if it ever stops raining I may even get to see them race this year).... I am going on a week long motorcycle trip with my brother and then when I get home - a week later - I get to go on vacation with my family (Even when we had very little money... every summer of our marriage we have gone somewhere and done something for at least a few weeks. Some of the cheapest trips have been some of the most fun).... I could go on and on and on.
I guess watching this on screen Dad have to say good-bye and leave all the stuff he loved made me think (once again) about living in and loving all the blessing that I have right now - because I will not have them forever.
Surprisingly, the movie did not make me cry (one of the reasons I don't watch many movies is that I am a "soft soap sap head" that cries when (a) someone has to say good-bye to someone they love and (b) music is playing (music is the Kryptonite.... I can't take the two in combination)
Anyway - long story short.... I love my life.... I love my family (both immediate and extended)... I love being in Estevan (I had a dream a few weeks ago that I was forced to leave Estevan and I was really sad about it.... Imagine my joy when I woke up and realized I was still here.... I may have been the first person ever to be happy to wake up in Estevan).... I have more than I need (in every way you can honestly think about it)..... life is good and I was reminded to enjoy every blessing in it.
So, in the end - on this her birthday - it was Megan that gave me the present!
1 comment:
That was lovely Tim. :)
Post a Comment