Friday, November 02, 2012

A Book update

I know that many people who read this blog (like Roberta) like to hear stories about race cars, garages and, especially, motorcycles (Oh they say they don't.... every time I see them they sarcastically say, "Would you PLEASE stop writing such boring blogs!!!!"..... they are funny!)  :)

Anyway.... since I know that you are wondering to yourself, "How is that new motorcycle book you bought, Tim?" (if you do not know what book I am talking about, scroll down).... here is your update.

I would give it a 6 out of 10.

Normally not bad.  But I would give the first book a 9.99939 out of 10.

The first "Leanings" book is much more about Egan's first years of riding.  It is also about rebuilding a bunch of bikes that are now classics.... old Triumphs and Nortons and Honda 4s and stuff like that.

The second book is more about his later experiences of riding brand new Beemers through the Alps.... or his many trips to Baja country in Mexico.... or how he and several buddies loaded up and took a 10 day tour through Italy while test driving new Ducatis.

All of that is interesting enough.... but I am much more likely to be doing the things in the first book (Buying some old wreck and restoring it) than I am the things in the second book (riding through Tuscany on an all expense paid tour... as nice as that may sound).

So, if you like to dream about stuff that you will likely never get to do, buy book 2.

If, on the other hand, you like reading about things that could become a reality for you, buy book 1.

And if you could not care less about motorcycles.... well I guess you can always go buy shoes (or whatever it is that people waste their money on when they don't have the good taste to like motorcycles!)  :)


No comments: