Monday, May 19, 2014

May Long Stuff

Our May Long has included several activities such as hanging out with Sari's parents, going to a 50th anniversary tea, some of us (Katie and me) had to work a bit, all of us got to hang out with some of our buddies (but not as many buddies as we would have liked) and some of us got to relax a little.

We did more than that, but I have pictures of a couple of the things that I got to do, so I thought I would share them.

First of all, on Saturday night the "Estevan Motor Speedway" held its first race of the year.  I volunteer as a track official out there and thought I would show you what things look like from my spot on the track.

My job is to stand at the end of the front stretch wall and wave caution flags.  I also help make sure cars are lined up and ready to go.  Here is a shot looking down the wall back to corner 4.


 My other job is to keep cars on the "staging lane" (where they sit after they leave the pits but before they go on the track) until it is safe for them to go out.  Here is a shot of the front of Allen Kent's Late Model.  These cars put out over 500 hp (maybe closer to 600) and cost in the $20 000 + range (depending on the parts and pieces you choose - could be cheaper - but the guys who run up front spend the money to do so)



Ready to go out......


Hot laps on track (basically a short practice - maybe 3 or 4 laps so the drivers get a feel for the track and to make sure that the cars are in working order)

Front stretch.... very wide... lots of options for passing

Late Models lined up for the start (You can see the flagman in the upper left of the pic giving them the "One lap to go" signal.... I should be doing that too but I am taking the picture).  We also communicate to the drivers via radio in their helmet... the big joke is always that it is "one way radio" only.... we can talk to them.... they can't talk back to us... which is fortunate at times)  :) 

  Hobby stocks taking the green flag

Looking back at half of the grandstand (it is intermission - that is why the seats are so empty)
I love hanging out at the speedway.... one of the best parts of living in Estevan.

Another nice thing for me is having a motorcycle and a family who allows me to just ride off into the sunset sometimes.  One of the best things about that is just exploring.  Yesterday, I found this old church building and yard out in the middle of nowhere north of Torguay.

It is called "Lac Qui Parle" (Lake that Speaks???) and it was named after a county in Minnesota where the settlers used to live.  The funny thing is that it was a Norwegian community... no one spoke French.... but they named the church was named after the nearby lake and then that name came with them to Saskatchewan.

The building was built in 1905 and many of the graves are from that time as well.  One of the things that struck me (as it often does in these old cemeteries) was how many babies were buried there.  One stone in particular said the name and then "our precious baby boy".  He was a year old.  We are fortunate to live in a time where most of us do not know what it is like to lose one or more children.

Anyway, there was no one around for miles (Except for the gopher that followed me around some and the snake that I almost stepped on - I thought of you mom)... it was really quiet and beautiful.  



 A little fun, a bunch of people, some rest and some fun stuff = good weekend.

No comments: