If getting to hang out with people you love and getting to do some things that you like to do is the benchmark of a good holiday, then ours was great! Sari and I got to hang out with our parents and most of our siblings (though we did miss seeing some of them - sorry guys). We got to see nieces and nephews. We received some very nice and thoughtful gifts from family and friends (I will say more about that in a later blog possibly).
I got to go to a Moose Jaw Warriors hockey game and a couple of Bruins games. I even dragged myself to noon hockey (which was a lot of fun!). I played Scrabble with Sari (don't ask who won - I don't want to talk about it) and Crokinole with Megan, Connor, Emily and my brother Lenny. We ate too much. We stayed up too late. We slept in too long. The girls read a bunch of books (I mostly read motorcycle travel magazines - which is another blog for another time).
It was just nice to be back together as a family for a while. Katie was home. Megan had time off work. It was great!!!
So you can imagine why I was dreading this Sunday morning. Holidays ended for me today..... and it is always really hard going back.
After doing nothing but acting selfishly.... doing what I want, when I want.... going where I want.... only dealing with people when I want to..... it is always hard to go back to a job where I have to look after people (In case you have not noticed, I am not normally the most "nurturing" sort of guy. I have to work at it). It is way more fun to think only about myself. It is way easier to solve my problems than to listen to and help with those of other people. It is nicer to be on my own schedule rather than at the "beck and call" of those who need something. So I was dreading going back to work.
Until I got there.
I loved this morning. I loved seeing the people. I loved the deep conversations. Don't tell anyone, but I actually like being part of people's lives. I like being in Estevan.
Is it hard? Sometimes. Would I rather be selfish? Most of the time. Will I miss the kids and Sari when I am sitting alone in my office? Of course!
But is it worth doing? Absolutely!
So, if they offer me most time off, I will definitely take it..... but until then I will remember the good things of the last few weeks.... I will remember skating as a family and going for walks and breakfast dates and being introduced to "Sherlock" and a thousand other things..... and I will smile as I happily go to work doing something that I love to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment