
Bugs splattered across my motorcycle windshield is the sign of a good weekend (Well, for me if not for the bugs).
One of the reasons I ride a motorcycle is that it simplifies your life and thought processes. When I am on a bike, my entire world boils down to three essentials......
1. Finding fuel
2. Avoiding rain
3. Not dying
The first one seems simple, but it is not. Fuel is a tricky. You don't want to stop too early, because then you would never get anywhere (and you feel like a bit of a bozo putting 2 dollars and 32 cents of fuel on your debit card). The challenge is to see how far you can actually ride without running out of gas and having to walk.... and that does not always end well (Right, Lenny?)
The second part - avoiding rain - is good, but not nearly as critical as the fuel thing. Riding in the rain is actually quite refreshing. I rode through 5-10 minutes of torrential rain this past weekend (not to mention a slow drizzle at times) without even putting on my rain suit.
The third part (not dying) is quite a bit more important than the other two (So say my wife, my kids and my mom anyway). But the danger part (such as it is) is beneficial too.
Riding makes you concentrate on just one thing - riding! You can't (or at least should not) be ripping down the highway thinking about your taxes, whether to buy a new refrigerator or not, or what colour your next dress should be (Not that I wear dresses..... I am just trying to include the "lady bikers" in the thought process here. I need to make some amends after insinuating in my last blog that ladies possibly travel in herds). :(
Riding makes you concentrate on just one thing - riding! You can't (or at least should not) be ripping down the highway thinking about your taxes, whether to buy a new refrigerator or not, or what colour your next dress should be (Not that I wear dresses..... I am just trying to include the "lady bikers" in the thought process here. I need to make some amends after insinuating in my last blog that ladies possibly travel in herds). :(
In a world that demands that you do 6493679469048 things all at once, an activity that demands a singular focus is a very therapeutic thing.
Boil off the stupid and find the essentials.... that is what it does for me.
Boil off the stupid and find the essentials.... that is what it does for me.
Forget counselling sessions..... buy a bike! :)
10 comments:
we are off on our annual june bike trip this weekend. headed up the hanson lake road to flin flon area. camp at Amisk lake and come down the manitoba side and back around through humboldt to saskatoon. if you left estevan this afternoon, you could catch up with us in saskatoon. heading out first thing tomorrow morning! haha. youre more than welcome!
That sounds like a great trip! I wish I could join you. Who are you going with?
mostly a group of guys from Regina plus a guy i work with. should be good! fingers crossed for good weather! i think there will be 7 or 8 of us all together
Cool! Are you tenting? My brother and I are attempting our first biking/tenting trip in July (normally we hotel it). My bike doesn't have a sissy bar so I was not sure I could carry enough stuff, but I bought backpacker tents/sleeping bag/etc so that is the plan this year. Looks like you are going to have good weather. Ride safe!
traditionally this is a one night, no tents allowed trip. but this is the 10th anniversary so we are doing it over 3 nights. i will bring a tent, but going to sleep under the stars at least one night to keep the tradition alive. haha.
Wow! Well, if you survive, let me know how it turned out. :)
survived the trip! 3 nights sleeping under the stars! had good weather and the roads were actually quite good. the scenery in that part of the province is absolutely stunning. I would recommend that trip to anyone, whether you are on a bike or in a car, it is worth checking out! a bit of a hidden gem i would say.
That is very cool (especially the "surviving" part). :) Did you take any pics? Have you posted anything anywhere? Would you send some if I sent you my email address? I would love to see some as that is a trip I have thought about making too.
there are some photos i was tagged in on facebook if you have access to that. or you could try this link https://www.facebook.com/ricky.tiefenbach/posts/10154219376191449?pnref=story
i have a few on my instagram @jermsolson and i could also email a few for sure! whatever works for you!
Cool! I will have a look around and see what I can find! :)
Post a Comment