Disclaimer: NOTHING HAS HAPPENED TO MURPHY!! (I had to put that on there because the last time I mentioned "losing an old fiend" - which turned out to be our refrigerator - the kids immediately thought I meant Murphy).
It had been a tough week for the boys in our house.
When Sara went to get Murphy out of his kennel on Tuesday morning, he couldn't walk. I mean, like he could hardly stand up. She had to carry him up the stairs.
This is not all that unusual these days though. Murphy is old (going on 14 years) and we had taken him for a huge run in the park the day before, so we just thought that maybe he was stiff and sore. Old age creeping in, you know.
However, as the week progressed, he didn't. He wasn't eating. He wasn't drinking. When he did try to walk, it looked like he had been drinking.... swerving all over the place, tripping and falling. He was so bad that we even talked about taking to the vet (if you know what I mean)
However, and strange as it may sound, I talked Sara out of this. He had an episode like this a Christmas time and came back so I convinced her to go to Manitoba as she had planned and to leave him with me.
I am happy to announce that he seems to be doing better. He is eating and drinking again. He can walk a little better now and he does not fall over at all anymore. To be honest, I think he had a stroke or something, but he seems to be making a comeback (again).
Me - not so much! The shoulder that was hurting me last week (see post below) is still hurting. In fact, I had a horrible night last night and at one point woke up in so much pain that I could hardly stand it! I have tried icing it.... heating it.... going to the chiropractor (twice)..... I have even tried my fail-proof method that fixes all issues.... I tried going for a run. I say "tried" because my shoulder hurt so much that I could not run at all.
Constant pain is a constant pain!!!
So - you may be wondering - given my checkered past with Muffy - why would I volunteer to nurse him back to health? Well, it comes down to two things....
1. I don't hate him as much as I pretend to. Yes, he is a pain at times. Yes, he has cost us a pile of money. Yes, we have to find him a sitter every time we want to go somewhere. But I will miss him when he is gone.
2. More importantly...... Sari said "The most humane thing to do for him - if he can't move - is to take him to the vet"........ as I stand there unable to move my arm or shave! I HAD to get her out of here!!! It was self-preservation!!!
As I said, I think Muffy is going to pull through, but I am not so sure about me!!!
And Sara comes home tomorrow (gulp!) :)

No comments:
Post a Comment