Monday, November 07, 2016

Unbelievable!!! (Blog 10 of 30)

I have not written in a few days because I was super busy.  In particular, I was at a camp board meeting all day Saturday and then I raced home for the Speedway awards supper that night (raced home - get it!!!??!!!)  :)

Everything was great until 6:30 Sunday morning.

I woke up in more pain than I have ever felt in my life!!!  My right shoulder hurt.... my arm hurt.... my neck hurt...... and I could not make it stop.  No matter how I moved or what I did.

So I got up and walked around for a while.... nothing helped.

Now you may remember that my neck went out about a month ago and I proudly said that I did not take any pain killers for it because I had not taken a pain killer of any kind in more than 10 years...... Well, Sunday morning I started popping Tylenol like candy...... anything to get the pain to stop.

Unfortunately for me, Sari was out of town.  Had she been here, she would have talked some sense into me..... but she wasn't (she was in Minot) and so "sense" was not something that was going to be a part of the rest of this story.

I went back to bed but by 8 am I could not stand the pain again. My right arm  hurt so much again that I could barely move it.  In fact, I only shaved about half of my face before hitting the shower because I could not get my arm up there to do more.

For the first time in the 27 years I have been here I actually thought, "Maybe I need to call someone and tell them that someone else has to look after Sunday morning stuff because I can't do it!"

However, as I said, common sense was not really in play, so I decided to go anyway.

As I drove to the church building, the pain was so bad that I almost threw up!   I have a high pain threshold (remember - not even a Tylenol in 10 years) but I could not take it!!!

When I started class, I  told people that it may be short this week and explained why.  Fortunately, someone had some "Robaxacet" (muscle relaxer) and gave me some.  At the end of class someone said, "You must feel better" and I said "Not at all!" so then another guy yelled out "Take another Robaxacet!"

So there is a new church game for you...... See how many Robaxacet you can take before you can't teach Bible class any more.  :)

Long story short..... I fought my way through class and the sermon..... I also went and did Creighton Lodge (nursing home) singing,..... and taught Sunday night class all while feeling more constant pain than I have ever felt before.

Here is how badly I was hurting..... not only did I take pain killers but...... I went to the chiropractor for the first time in my life.  I have fought through hockey hits that made it so I could not turn my head for 2 weeks without going to a chiropractor..... but when Sari got home and told me I was going, I did not argue.

He told me that I had 2 ribs that were out of place and my neck was all wrong too.  Fifteen minutes on the muscle machine to loosen things up and then five big cracks put things back in place..... but I still don't feel great.

Sara drove me me home and told me I was staying home, but I decided I was going to the office.  I went out to the truck, sat down, started it...... and then just shut it off again.  I could not even sit in the seat.  So I missed my first day of work in about 10 years too.  

I am going back to the chiropractor again tomorrow,  Hopefully, 2 or 3 treatments will fix it.

I need to say here too that Sari missed her calling..... She should have been a nurse.  She is really good at caring for stubborn, grumpy people!  :)

What caused all this?  Well, we had a really stressful camp meeting on Saturday and that is what I am blaming it on.  Too much stress and too many things going on.

I would sue the camp for my pain and suffering..... but I am the chairman of the board, so I would likely have to go out and raise the money to pay myself.

And that would be stressful and I don't think my back can take it!  :)


No comments: