Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Old is cool (Blog 5 of 30)

No, the title of this article is not a reference to me (though I am getting old.... you can debate the "cool" part amongst yourselves).

What I am really referring to is old stuff that is still going.  For example, I was reading about the Isle of Man the other day and there is something called the "Manx Electric Railway" that runs for 27 kms along the island.  It opened in 1893 and two of the original three cars are still being used!  125 years later!!!!

Then, yesterday too, I saw a show about Havana, Cuba.  Of course, there are all kinds of old American vehicles on the road there (like from the 50s before the trade embargo).  They interviewed a mechanic and asked him where they bought parts to keep these cars on the road and he said, "We cannot buy parts.  We must make them!"   THEY MAKE THE PARTS!!!!

I find that to be sort of cool!  Here we are throwing away everything and there they are making parts so that they can keep their 60 year old cars on the road.

Granted, they may not think it is so cool when their stuff breaks down all the time, but there is something about knowing how things work and keeping things going that makes me smile.

Conversely, there is something about our throw away, who cares I will just buy a new whatever, society that makes me cringe.

I have said it before and I will keep saying it..... I think if the pioneers could see the way we do things, they would kick out backsides!

I know a couple of old guys that can seemingly fix anything.   I would love to be like that.  Those people are a dying breed!

No comments: