Wednesday, February 28, 2018

The Legend of Kramer (Blog 6 of 30)

It was almost November and it was getting cold.  Too cold to be riding a motorcycle - especially in the morning - but I bundled up and headed to the office.

When I got there, an older couple who works in our clothing outlet saw me and asked, "Why are you still riding your bike this late in the season?"

"Well, the kids took our two other vehicles to university with them", I replied, "And Sara is out of town with our SUV, so I have to ride the bike."

"What will you do when winter comes?" they asked.

"Sara and I will just work it out and share the SUV".

"You should buy our car!" they exclaimed.

"What do you have?"

"A 1993 Chrysler Intrepid!"

"I don't think I am interested, but thanks anyway!"

Fast forward a bit and they come to my office, "Have you thought any more about our car?"

"Nope!"

"Well we had it at a garage and they said that it was worth about $2500.  It only has 80 000 kms on it, ya know?"

80 000 kms on a 1993 car got my attention, but I still did not want to buy another vehicle especially not an Intrepid and certainly not for $2500.

"Make us an offer" the man said.  When I shrugged he yelled out, "Give us $500!" 

Now I was interested!

Sara and I went to look at it and it was immaculate!  Hardly been sat in.  New battery.  New tires (the tires were worth more than $500).  Not a scratch on it.   I bought it on the spot and named it "Kramer" (On Seinfeld, more than once, the neighbour Kramer is referred to with words like "big ugly duffus" and since I thought this car was big and ugly........)

Now some people would be embarrassed to drive Kramer.  They would not want to be seen in an old Grandpa car like that.  Not me! 

I have driven Kramer every day all winter and all he does is make me smile.... every time!   Not because it was a good deal - which it was.  Not because it is a reliable car - which it is (I took it to Regina a couple of weeks ago - drove like a brand new one).

Kramer makes me smile because it is an every day reminder that.....

A.  There are still good and kind people in the world!

B.  God is working things out in ways I would never have imagined!  I had all kinds of ideas of what we could do regarding another vehicle..... finding a 25 year old mint condition Intrepid sitting in someone's garage for next to nothing was not part of my plan!

Good things happen if you are patient.

There are lots of good people out there (one just stopped by my house tonight - but that is another story for another time).

We are being looking after - whether it know it at the time or not!


No comments: