Saturday, April 21, 2007

Crying over my "Craftsman" - by TKP

So - have you ever had one of those days when you think, "This is going to be a nice day" - and then......

I had really good intentions of helping Sari in the yard today (cleaning up, taking stuff to the dump, power-raking the lawn with the mower), unfortunately it did not end that way.

For some reason - possibly because it saw me being happy - the lawnmower decided not start today (we have not used it this year yet), so I showed it - and tore it all apart. I had pieces spread all over the back yard ("Ha, who is laughing now", I asked it, but it said nothing) .

Unfortunately, as of 10:30 tonight, it still doesn't run (I know - hardly a success story, hey?) and, in fact, a little part (I think it is called a "Flangerotty" - though I could be wrong) - a very tiny spring from inside the carburetor float chamber, has gone AWOL. It is lost in the backyard somewhere - which is another disadvantage of not having a garage - when you drop things like "Flangerotties" (or is the plural "Flangerotti" - I am not sure) :) they get lost in the leaves, grass and other nature-type things out there (Which may be why you see very few garages with real grass on the floor).

Anywho, I am fairly certain that the "Flangerottie's" absence is not going to help me to get the mower running (I am also pretty sure that they do not just throw in extra parts for fun - though I often seem to have lots left over - "Flangerotti" are not cheap you know?)

Now - just so you don't think that I am just stupid (I can hear you when you say those things you know) I do know what I am doing. I took automotive courses in school and have kept 5 old mowers at our Bible camp running through many a summer of neglect and harsh treatment (from me that is - the other people who use them are very nice to them).

In the end, I took the carb off (8 times - seriously), took the head off, cleaned the valves and cleaned, checked and adjusted the magneto (Which, by the way, I had to get Sari out there to help with. She tried starting the mower while I held onto the spark plug wire. Not surprisingly, I got quite a shock from it - then she proceeded to pull the rope like 3489789347 more times... and you all think that she is so nice and sweet) and then - of course - I lost the "Flangerotty" for the second (and final time) in the day.

So, after working from noon till 7:39:33 tonight - nothing! Well - not quite nothing! I had to drain the gas several times.... I can't remember several significantly large portions of the afternoon - but (on the bright side) I did feel quite happy about the whole thing - if you know what I mean. :)

So - if any of you have a spare "Flangerotty" - or know a good "Lawnmower faith healer" - please give me a call will you?

(PS. Yes - I know it is not really called a "Frangerotty" - I just like saying it) :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

can tell you hard a GREAT day Tim
have to luv it when someone else has them too!
Marian