Monday, October 19, 2009

Grandpa McMillan

Willie McMillan passed away today. He was 95 years old.


Thinking about him today, I am glad that I knew him. He was kind and gentle. Always friendly. Always ready to beat you at a game of horseshoes (and he did that a lot). He always went out of his way to say "hi" to me and to encourage me. He was always there doing his part - often in the background - but you could count on him.


Someone today called him a great "Christian warrior". Many have mentioned how much his example meant to them and how he encouraged others just by the way he lived.


I never heard "Grandpa" give a sermon (not that I remember anyway) - but just knowing him and even thinking about him today has taught me some valuable lessons.


A man named Eugene Peterson once wrote a book called "A long Obedience in the same Direction". That would be a good title for Willie McMillan's biography. Not flashy - not loud - just quietly going the right way - for a long, long time.


I am glad that I got to walk alongside of him for a while.

No comments: