Thursday, October 29, 2009

Supper with the Premier

Given my extended family's run-ins with the law... a date with a government official is usually not a good thing - but last night it was for me. I was invited to have supper with the Premier (and others) at Government House in Regina.


Jasmine Erickson, a young lady who grew up in our church, was one of five recipients of the "Saskatchewan Youth Award" this year and so she was invited to a presentation ceremony and supper. What does that have to do with me?


Well, when the selection committee was talking about the supper, they were wondering who they should have come and say "grace" before the meal - then they noticed that Jasmine had been really involved in her local church, so they called her and asked if she would like her minister to be part of the evening. Graciously, she said, "sure" so the Premier's Protocol Office called and asked if I would be interested in participating in the evening.


It was very cool - for many reasons. First of all, I have known Jasmine since she was a year old (she has graduated from a performing arts college now - so that is a while). She is very special to us.


Secondly, it was nice to meet the Premier, Brad Wall. He was very humble and warm and engaging. When he first came up to us, I was prepared to address him as "Mr. Premier" (as one should) and then he stuck out his hand and said, "Hi, I am Brad!" When he heard my name he said, "Oh, you are the one saying grace tonight. Do you know the Pastor of the Church of God in Estevan? He was my counselor at camp when I was a kid"...... he was very impressive in that he did not think he was impressive (I even emailed him today to tell him how nice the evening was and he wrote back to me two hours later - remembered our conversation, remembered that I was with Jasmine's group - very impressive)


Anyway, the Honourable Dr. Gordon L. Barnhart, Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan was there - he was very nice too. It was interesting to watch all the "pomp" surrounding him - he did not carry the book with his speech in it (an attendant did), we stood until he was seated, he left the room before the rest of us, we could not sing during the playing of "O Canada/God save the Queen" when he entered - but we were encouraged to sing later - all very interesting.


Other MLAs were there - the leader of the Opposition (Dwain Lingenfelter) - the Chief Justice of Saskatchewan (he and his wife were at our table) - the speaker of the house, etc, etc.


The banquet hall at Government house only seats about 80 people - so it was a rather small crowd - everyone included (dignitaries and guests) - so we really got a chance to visit.


And the food..... Yyyyyyuuuummmmmm!!!!! Butter nut squash soup, Beef Bourguignon, Roasted potatoes, asparagus.... gingerbread and raspberries for desert!! If you ever get invited - go hungry! :)


Anyway - I said my prayer and I got to meet and talk to some very interesting people. Most of all, though, I was proud to be there with Brent, Angel, Norma and Jasmine. What a great memory and what a blessing to be included in the lives of people that we love. It was wonderful!


I did not take a camera with me, but several in our group did, so I will post some pictures later.

1 comment:

Jen Mooney said...

That sounds like a really fantastic experience! SO glad that you got to do that!