Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Never a Dull Moment (Blog 2 of 30)

Most people have no idea what preachers do during the week.  I think they assume I just nap in my office chair or something (Which is just silly.... the pews are WAY better for napping than my chair is).  :)

Over the years, I have done my actual job, but I have also been conscripted to do tons of other things too that have nothing to do with my job description such as......

- Helping people move.  I have always said that every Bible degree ought to come with a free weight lifter's belt, instructions on how to properly carry a deep freeze and a pick-up truck.... you are gonna need them!

-  Farming. I have driven grain truck for 5 different people when they needed a hand.  Oddly, they never asked me to come back after the first time (Actually, that is not true.... even when I tried to hide from some of them they found me)

- Construction.  I have put in countless hours building things at our Bible camp and around the church building.  If they need someone to go down into the crawl space below my office.... the one that is less than 2 feet high in some areas and carries the potential of not only being attacked by some rabid animal but also getting wedged in so tight that they only choice they would have to keep you alive is to send pureed food to you by straw through a whole in the floor boards... they call me ("After all, the crawl space is under your office, ya know?"  Who can argue with logic like that?)

- Sewage cleanup.  When you are the only one in the building and the basement is flooding..... you can fill in the details.

- Electronics repair.  When the sound system is wailing like a cat in dryer (not that I would know that sound first hand - seriously!  What?) and you at they only one in the building......

- Baby-sitting.  When you are not the only one in the building, but some mom came to get something done and her offspring is looking for something to do, I get to be that guy (I was probably just napping anyway)

Which brings us to today's adventure:  Shovelling snow off the roof of the church building.  This used to be a common job in the spring when we still had flat roofs that leaked like "Leaky the Clown" (He was not very popular so you may not have heard of him.  Word to the wise:  DO NOT hire him for your kid's 5th birthday party!!!).  However,  I thought those days were over when we put a pitched roof on there about 10 years ago.

However, today there was water dripping into the foyer through one of the light fixtures.  Generally not a good thing.  So I got on the roof and shovelled all the snow to the edge and then Calvin pulled it down with a roof rake.


Here is the result......


It may be hard to get the idea of how much snow that is but Calvin is standing on it and it is still quite high behind him.  I would say the pile was 4 feet high or so and about twice as wide. Took us almost two hours of straight shovelling (not sure whether this helped or hurt my shoulder - see previous post - time will tell I guess)

So there you go.  Want an interesting career???  Want new adventures all the time???  Forget running away and joining the Navy.  Be a preacher!  Every day is a surprise!

PS.  They say that people only brag about things that they do not normally do.  No one brags about breathing, for example (Unless they have trouble breathing, I suppose).  So - you would be right if you thought "He doesn't do stuff like that every day!"   It is only once in a while, but I have developed a broad range of skills because of it.

And - as a bonus - since I missed my nap in the office this afternoon - I get to take two tomorrow!! :)

No comments: