Tuesday, January 31, 2017

I Need a Tony (Blog 6 of 30)

Over the years, I have spent a lot of time watching car shows where guys take old junky cars and turn them into something nice.  Almost without fail, I end up thinking, "That looks like a lot of fun.  I wish I could do that sometime".

Well, thanks to my nice wife, I bought a 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger from my brother and it has become my winter project car.  And you know what?  It has been great!  I have really enjoyed trouble shooting things and taking them apart. So far it has been everything I hoped it would be (and it has given me something to do other than watch TV on cold winter evenings).

However, there is one part that I don't like so much..... I hate shopping for parts!  

I have just spent the better part of 2 hours looking around at various sites and bookmarking stuff that I will need at some point and I am about ready to pull my hair out.

Now, here it the thing.... it is not that I am cheap!  Ok - well maybe I am - but when it comes to stuff like this, I don't mind paying to get what I need.  I just HATE the process!!!  It takes SOOOO long to find what you want and then compare that to 5 other sites, etc.

Then I realized that the mechanics on the shows that I watch never actually order the parts.  In fact, they usually have some guy named "Tony" (or something) who looks for things, orders them up and - Fa Da - the parts are there when they need them

Therefore, I am hiring my own Tony!  

How much will this job pay?

Well - way back when I was single and needed a secretary at church, I used to tell the cute girls that I would pay them $5 per day and all the coffee they could drink.  The big Bonus:  They got to hang out with me!!!

As you may have guessed..... I never did get a secretary!  :(

Maybe I ought to get used to ordering my own car parts too.  

No comments: