Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Listen to the voices (6 of 30)

I have determined today (and I have the research data to back it up) that one should listen to that little voice that you hear in your head once in a while. No - I do not mean those "voices".... (If I listened to those other voices, things would be very different - but enough about that), I mean that little voice that tells you to do good things

As I was driving back to the office today, I thought, "I should run up to the hospital and see Don" - an 88 year old man that I sort of know. I did not really want to go, but thinking that "I should", I decided to run over there, stay for 15 minutes or so and leave.

An hour and forty five minutes later I only got out because I faked a heart attack and they wheeled me out on a stretcher (ok - maybe that did not happen - but it was really close). Don is fun to visit with - very sharp for an 88 year old - and he loves to tell stories (in fact, I think he was in the middle of one as I was leaving... but what could I do? If I waited until he was done I would have still been there).

Anyway - the point - I am not bragging about myself. Rather I am reminding myself (and you by extension) to do the "good" even if I/you do not feel like it. I went to visit Don and brighten his day and I was the one who came away feeling good and smiling.

Sometimes it is good to listen to the voices.

No comments: