Is it just me or does life seem to be going backwards? I mean, I think that we are losing quality of life and don't even know it.
I was thinking this the other day as I stood in the Co-op waiting for my water jugs to fill. My Grandpa grew up on a farm not that far from Estevan and I bet he dreamed of the day that he would be rich enough to live in a house with hot and cold running water, so that he would not have to haul water any more. Guess what? I live in a house with hot and cold running water.... AND I STILL HAUL WATER!!!! I PAY FOR IT TO COME RIGHT TO MY HOUSE - TREATED AND READY TO DRINK... AND YET I STILL GO OUT, PAY WAY MORE THAN I WOULD FOR ANY OTHER LIQUID ON THE PLANET AND HAUL HOME THE "SPECIAL WATER" FROM THE "SPECIAL MACHINE" IN THE GROCERY STORE!!! THE MACHINE THAT IS PROBABLY JUST A STRAIGHT PIPE INTO THE MUNICIPAL WATER THAT I GET AT MY TAP AT HOME!!!! THAT IS STUPID!!!!
Then there is the recycling thing. I like recycling. I think it is a fine thing to do (especially when I get my coke bottle deposit back). We have always recycled cardboard and newspapers, but lately we have started recycling plastics and tin cans as well. The problem: No one picks up any of these items in our town. We have a drop off centre - so we have to haul them over there ourselves. I PAY $20 A MONTH TO HAVE MY GARBAGE PICKED UP.... RIGHT BEHIND MY OWN HOUSE - BUT STILL I DRIVE AROUND TOWN WITH A LOAD OF JUNK IN THE BACK OF MY TRUCK LIKE I AM SOME HOBO (I guess hobos typically don't drive trucks - but that word was more politically correct than the other one I was going to use).
And texting... does anything make less sense than that? See that device in your hand.... YOU CAN ACTUALLY USE IT TO TALK TO PEOPLE!!! YOU DON'T HAVE TO IGNORE THE REAL PEOPLE AROUND YOU FOR TWENTY MINUTES TO FIND OUT HOW YOUR BUDDY'S DAY WENT... CALL HIM AND GET IT OVER WITH!!!! WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE MAY NOT BE THERE???? HE IS TEXTING YOU BACK!!!! ONE CALL AND IT WOULD BE DONE IN 20 SECONDS. SCIENTISTS WORKED FOR 30 YEARS PERFECTING THE TECHNOLOGY - IT ACTUALLY WORKS!!!! I could see it if it was invented the other way around.... Some jerk is standing there with his "texting machine" spending twenty minutes trying to get a message to his girlfriend thinking, "Man, if only I could hear her voice". Guess what... YOU CAN!!!!
I don't get it. I think we are regressing.
No comments:
Post a Comment