SOMEBODY.... ANYBODY.... PLEASE, WRITE A NEW CHRISTMAS CAROL!!!!
"The Little Drummer Boy" was written in 1941!!!!! (74 years ago!!!!).
"White Christmas" = 1940 (75 years ago!!!!)
"Holly Jolly Christmas" - 1964 (51 years ago)
"Frosty the Snowman" = 1950 (65 years ago)

"Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer" = 1949 (66 years ago).
BE SURE TO READ THIS PART (because I got in trouble with my mother last year over this rant..... Hi, Mom!!)........ I am not against Christmas..... Christmas Carols..... or even the songs listed above (In fact, one of my favorite songs from this time of year is "Sleigh Ride" written in 1950 and one of my favorite religious Christmas songs is "Silent Night" and it was first performed on Christmas eve 1818).
I am NOT against old songs!
But come on! Are you telling me that no one has been able to come up with a decent song about winter, Christmas or family getting together during the holiday season in the past 50 + years??????
No - hang on - let me correct that..... "Boney M" cracked the rotation and had a hit with "Mary's Boy Child" in 1978. Other than the fact that.... (A) The song is completely inaccurate according to the Bible..... (B) The group that recorded in studio was not the "Boney M" group that toured and sang the songs (they had to create a group to go on the road)..... (C) Boney M has not performed together since 2010 and they never that popular in the first place. Other than that - it is perfect!
I would love - one year - to hear all the old stuff that you have heard since your Grandma was born 267349674893790 years ago.... and then JUST ONE new song that had a reference to something more modern than "Chestnuts roasting over an open fire" (who does that anyway?). How about something that talks about how great it is to have "forced air furnaces" or "indoor plumbing" or a song about how the family gathers to watch the "World Junior Hockey Championship around the big screen while eating nachos"...... something to let future generations know that we did see some technological advances in our lifetime.
(Now - hang on....... Someone is going to write and argue that "open fires" are way more romantic than the "World Juniors" and that maybe all our big screens etc are a step backwards, not forwards. I will grant you that point - in principle. I agree that TVs, cell phones and computers are a plague on our society most of the time.... see my rants in the posts just below this one. However, I do not think many of you will shut off the furnace or turn off the water so that you can experience the "old ways" just for "old time's sake". Some things just don't make sense).
So there you go! Your "Christmas Challenge"...... Go write the first decent, catchy, singable Christmas song for the first time since JFK was in the White House.
The subject gives you a ton of good stuff to work with..... Someone MUST be able to do something!!!!
PS. I was ranting to my brother about this earlier today and so he told me to write one. I told him that I do write and sing songs all the time..... but they are all about me..... and for some reason the girls will not sing them. I think they are jealous!
3 comments:
Last year I told you to check out Todd Agnew and Friends.... This year I will recommend MercyMe's new Christmas album :) Christmastime Again has potential;)
Thanks! I will do that. :)
i am with ya. except i would go one step further and say i can't stand christmas songs at all. that being said. here is a great one. i suppose it is not new either. but maybe new to you?
The Pogues
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwHyuraau4Q
this one is new. and really good. might be more up your alley musically. not sure.
Hayes Carll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5er6FZLRm1U
Post a Comment