Since I am repairing a couple of old bikes, I was really excited to go to the "Biker Swap Meet" in Moose Jaw this past weekend. It was even more fun that Sari decided to go with me.
As we pulled up to the building, it became clear that this was not our normal Sunday morning crowd.
The first tip off...... the multiple police cruisers parked outside.
The second...... the fact that everyone was dressed in black leather. I mean everyone! From top to bottom..... leather hats, leather coats or vests.... leather pants.... leather boots. Everyone!
Well - everyone except for Sari who was dressed in a shirt that looked like an Easter Egg!
A cute Easter Egg mind you..... but an Easter Egg none the less.
At least it was no hard to find her in the crowd.
________________
At the same meet, I kept seeing guys who had a patch on their back that said, "Christian". On the front, they had other patches that said stuff like "God is good!" or "Disciple".
I had heard of various Christian biker groups, but I had never seen these guys before, so I decided to ask one of them about the group. Generally speaking, bikers are a friendly lot especially once they know that you have a bike too, so I picked out this one dude and approached him.
"Hey, can I ask you a question" I said.
"Why?" was his surly response.
"I just wanted to ask about your colours. I have heard of a lot of Christian bikers but I don't know about yours. What can you tell me about it?"
"We are bikers.... who are Christians!" he snorted.
At this point I was starting to really believe the first part of his statement, though I was starting to doubt the second part a bit.
I decided to try a different approach..... "Well I work with a church in Estevan and I ride too so I just kinda wondered who you guys are since I have never seen your patch before".
"Estevan", he said sounding even less impressed. "Do you know pastor Jeff?" I said that I did and he said, "Well, that is him right over there!"
I took this as my cue to shut up and leave him alone..... which I did!
So I went and talked to Jeff who was dressed in the same apparel as the other dudes, but he did not seem to know much more about the group either...... or he was sworn to secrecy so something.
It was a weird experience though.
When the guys wearing "Christian" are way less friendly than the guys wearing the "Hell's Angels" stuff, something is wrong.
(PS. Oddly, that last line is true. The dudes at the HA table were very talkative.... till the cops walked by anyway)
No comments:
Post a Comment