There.... I said it!!!!
I think that the drive thru is one of the worst inventions of modern culture. Why do I say that??? Well.......
1. Have you noticed that it is spelled "drive thru"? What is that???
2. It is inequitable.
The drive thru window always looks as if it is staffed by the entire grade 12 class from the local high school while the inside counter looks more like nap time at the old folks home and someone forgot to set the alarm! IF I TAKE THE TIME TO ACTUALLY COME INTO YOUR STORE I OUGHT TO GET BETTER SERVICE THAN THE GUY WHO SPENDS 3.74 SECONDS DRIVING BY THE WINDOW!!!!
3. The conversations.
"Brrrmmmmppppp..... Welcome to ___________ may I take your order?"
"Ya I will have a medium black coffee."
"Bbbbrrrrpppp.... did you say a medium chai latte?"
"No! I am a grown man!!! Why would I drink that slop??? I said I wanted a medium black coffee!"
"FFffrrrrrrrgggghhhhttt....... Ok..... what size would you like?"
"I am sorry! Maybe I wasn't clear. Lean in and listen closely.... AAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!" (Fill in the loudest, more shrill, girly "I just found a spider in my hair" scream right there)
Eighty-seven minutes later I finally drive away with a steaming cup of chai latte.
4. The lack of conversation
In Europe, going out for food or drink is a social occasion. You do not go out to eat.... you go out to be with people. The food is secondary. It is part of being part of a community. In a drive thru, the only thing you are part of is global warming (if you believe in that) by having you and 27 of your community members idling in a line for 6 hours while you wait! If I am paying for a cup of coffee that I could make for free at my office, I going to force a real person to make awkward small talk with me - just like my Grand-pappy did in his day. It is part of the exchange!
5. Did I mention it is spelled "Drive thru"??????
6. The drive thru makes me clean up my own slop because it is now in my truck instead of on the table in the restaurant where it ought to be!
It was built for their convenience... not yours!
Which is why - even if there is a drive thru - I never, ever use it!
Instead, I make Sari go in and get our stuff.
If I don't take a stand, who will? :)

1 comment:
Editor's note: There is a "PS" to this rant.... Sari went through a drive thru this morning and they got her order all wrong.... had to go back and get it fixed!
I am telling you..... that would not have happened at the inside counter!!! :)
Post a Comment