Monday, April 24, 2017

Kid Report/Happiness Project Reminder #17

Megan finished up her last final exam today and so her first year of university is officially in the books.  She came home this afternoon and it is nice to have everyone under the same roof again.

A few years ago I posted this picture of Megan learning to change the oil in her truck, Fonzi.

Today, it was Katie's turn to learn on their SUV.
I like that my kids want to know and try things.  It is very cool!  (And it may get me out of doing all the oil changes someday!)  :)
_______________________________
The Happiness Project #17:   Volunteer

Every community has countless opportunities to give and help someone else.  You could teach English to those who are new to our country.  You could help out at your local school.  Libraries are often short staffed and looking for help.  In fact, every service group I know of is looking for people to join in and help out.

One of the best decisions that I have made during my time in Estevan was to volunteer at the "Estevan Motor Speedway".  Not only does it allow me to be around cars and mechanical stuff, which I love, but it has opened up an entirely new group of people to get to know.  Also, unlike most of the other things that I am involved with, I do not run things at the speedway.  I have a couple of specific jobs to do, which I think are fun, and that is it.  The big responsibilities belong to someone else, but they are glad that I am there to help out.

If you are interested in something, chances are there is a group in your town that is interested in it too and they are probably looking for help to do it.

Volunteers have a sense of purpose, they feel appreciated and they are less likely to be bored or dissatisfied with their lives.

It is hard to be unhappy when you are connected to other people, doing something you like and are contributing to something bigger than yourself.

No comments: