Wednesday, April 19, 2017

The Secret to Home Cooking/The Happiness Project #15

Some of you may not know this, but I (Tim) consider my self something of a food expert.... a "foodie" if you will.

So when Katelyn asked me to divulge the secrets to my culinary success..... well, it was only natural of me to.........  wait........ what?????  

Oh ya!  That is right!!!!   I am not a foodie at all!!!!   In fact, I hate that term so much that I just punched myself in the head for using it!!!

To me, food and eating are just about survival.  So, with Sara away, Katie and I decided that we ought to BBQ some burgers.  She had never done this before so I showed her how.

We did not blow ourselves up..... and (as far as we know so far) we did not give ourselves food poisoning.

That is about as foodie as I can get!  :)
________________________________________
Happiness reminder #15:  Satisfaction is Relative

Your happiness is relative to a scale you yourself have created. 

If your measure your happiness right now against the two or three greatest moments in your life, you will be unhappy because those moments can never be duplicated.  If, on the other hand, you measure today against some of the toughest days you have had, you have all the reason in the world to appreciate this point in time.

The same goes for comparing your life to others.  It is completely pointless!  You are not the same as anyone else.  You did not have the same experiences growing up.  Even children from the same family had different advantages and disadvantages from one another just based on when they were born.

You can look at someone else and think, "Their life is so much better because they have ____________" (fill in the blank) and yet it quite possible that someone else (or maybe that same person) is looking at you and saying "Their life looks so good because________" (some other thing).

Here is the thing:  There is no objective definition of success.  Success and happiness are judgment calls - and you are the one that has to make those calls for yourself.

So - are you happy?  Content?  Do you feel like your life is being spent well?

If not, what will you change?

No comments: