Tuesday, April 18, 2017

NHL Playoffs/The Happiness Project (Reminder #14)

I love the first round of the NHL playoffs!

I love that the players actually care about winning (rather than a game in say February where they often float around like it does not matter what happens).

I love "sudden death overtime" and staying up half the night wondering what will happen.

I love the upsets that always come along with the first round.  For example, no one gave the Maple Leafs much hope of making the playoffs this year.  Then, when they did, they had to play Washington who had the best record in the regular season and no one gave them much hope of winning a game much less the series.  Now, after three straight overtime games, the Leafs are up 2-1 and are playing a really fast and fun to watch style of hockey.  For a guy who has cheered for them since he was 6 years old, it is nice to have something to cheer about.

I still wish that the playoffs would start earlier in the year and be done about now.  There is no way I am going to care much about it past this round because it will be too nice outside to waste nice. hot summer days sitting inside watching guys play a winter sport..... but I still love the first round.

So if you see me at the office or around town and I look a little sleepy..... maybe I have been up watching hockey till all hours of the morning..... but even if I am sleepy, I will likely be happy!  :)
_____________________________________
Happiness reminder #14:   Happy people realize that they don't have to do anything

Do you realize that unless you are in prison, you do not have to do anything?

I said that to someone recently and they said, "I have to go to work!"

Well, no you don't!

You choose to go to work, but you don't have to.  You could sell everything and live in a cardboard box if you wanted to.  Granted, most people don't want to do that so they choose to go to work.  But that is still a choice.

Speaking of choices, you certainly do not have to work where you work.  Again, that is a choice.  You could change jobs and do something else if you really wanted, but you choose to work where you do.

You do not have to live the lifestyle you have right now.  You have chosen that too.  People all over the world live with more or less than what you have - you have chosen what you wanted and the payments and obligations that you now have reflect those choices - but you still chose it and you could "unchoose" it by selling everything and downsizing if you really wanted.

Here is the point: When we make ourselves victims.... when we act as if everything in life is out of our control.....we will be unhappy.  No other outcome is possible!

Truth is that there will be some things that you can do nothing about, but the majority of the things in your life are there because you have consciously or unconsciously chosen them - therefore you have the power to change them, make them better or choose something else.

You are not powerless.  Life doesn't just happen to you.

Happy people spend their time doing what is important and valuable to them so that at the end of the day, or the end of their life, they can look back and say "That was worth doing!"

What is important enough to spend your life on?

Editor's note:  This thought was inspired by an article that was written by a junior hockey coach.  Have a look here......

https://thejuniorhockeynews.com/confessions-of-a-junior-hockey-coach-why-do-you-play-2/

No comments: