Tuesday, May 02, 2017

Signs of Spring/The Happiness Project: Reminder #21

It is a little known fact that the ancient Aztecs (or some old-timey group of people somewhere that people often refer to when they want to talk about history), watched for four infallible signs of spring.  They are.....

1.  The appearance of the Majestics Car Show.  In this yearly ritual, colorful automobiles of all varieties gather in one large group in Regina, Saskatchewan.  This gathering is quickly joined by the species "Mechanicus Oilius".  They are easily recognized by their long beards, hot rod shirts and general grease smell.

This gathering, happily, took place this past weekend.

2.  The first sighting of "Motorcycle Experience".  This TV show can be found on TSN and it fills the gap between the time when the weather warms up almost enough to ride and actually plating the bike and hitting the road.  Sitting in the basement and watching other people ride and talk about riding is enough to tide one over till the real thing happens.

I have watched three of them now.

3.  The mountain bike cleanse.  In this ritual, our four mountain bikes are freed from their winter hiding, given a once over and test ridden,

This happened today..

4.  Lastly, the re-birth of the Estevan Motor Speedway.  The lilting sounds of V-8 engines screaming in the cold night air and the intoxicating smell of burnt racing fuel make this the pinnacle of the seasonal celebration.

This glorious event takes place this coming Saturday at 5 pm and lasts throughout the warm summer months.

So there you have it.  Irrefutable proof that spring has surely arrived.  Ask any Aztec.... they know..
________________________________
Happiness Project Reminder #21:  You (or I) do not have to have an opinion about everything

Over the past week, I have started saying, "I do not have an opinion to share about that".

Now..... you will note that this phrase allows that I may actually have an opinion - in fact as a breathing, thinking person, I likely do - but here is the cool bit....... I don't have to share it.

In other words, I don't have to tell you what I think about what you choose to do..... I do not have to comment on how you spend your time or your money..... I don't have to have input on how you raise your kids, or what you think about the government or whether you like Taylor Swift or not!

"I do not have an opinion to share about that" keeps me out of needless arguments and out of commenting on situations where I have no influence anyway.   In other words, it keeps me from thinking or talking about things that make me angry or frustrated.

Now, if you start doing something that is actually going to harm you in some serious way, of course I am going to speak up.  However, if you decide to wrap yourself in velvet and wear a fez on your head...... well, actually I may say something about that too.

In general, the less I concern myself with things that have nothing to do with me, the happier I am.

Give it a try  I bet it works for you too!

No comments: