So most of you have heard this by now, but this happened this past weekend.
I think Katie was a little concerned that we were not a lot more excited when they called to say "We are engaged" (they were in Ontario at the time), but we were/are excited/happy/thrilled/etc.
However, it is not a huge surprise. They have been dating "FOREVER!!!!" (in her words) and he asked our permission when he was here over winter break, so it is the obvious next step.
It is sort of like...... if you survive basic training you gotta expect that you are gonna be thrown into the war soon, right? (Maybe I should have come up with a different analogy there......) :)
Anyway, we did not say anything till they told people, but now it is on Facebook so now everyone knows (including some kid in Bolivia who has never met us - that is how the internet works right?)
______________________________________
The Happiness Project Reminder: Our lives are very easy (Generally speaking)
One of the phrases I have used a lot lately is "Our forefathers would kick us in the backside". Usually this is said when people start complaining about stupid things.
For example, whining about having to drive to Regina for something. I get that it is inconvenient sometimes and that you may have better things to do...... but the trip from Estevan to Regina used to be a two week trip not that long ago. Riding a horse is fun for an hour..... it is not so much fun when you have to cross half a province on one.
Or when people complain about the taste of tap water. My Grandfather used to dream of the day that he would own a house that had hot and cold running water. Only the super rich in some big city somewhere else had that luxury (Mind you, in spite of the fact that I have running water in my house. I still haul water from the grocery store every week ..... and if anyone is standing near-by I often say, "You know, if my Grandfather could see me he would kick my backside") :)
I very clearly understand that there are real problems that real people really need to deal with - and I am willing to listen to those and help any way I can.
But most of us are way more spoiled than we know and it would do us good to see our blessings and not just our "problems". It is a much happier way to be.... and it may avoid your butt getting kicked!

No comments:
Post a Comment