Saturday, May 18, 2013

A Question


 

So today is my (Tim's) 44th birthday!

(Hard to believe, I know!  Any gifts can simply be dropped off at the house or, if they are too large to be handles alone - like a new motorcycle - I will gladly come by and give you a hand delivering them).  :)

Here is the thing though:  I don't FEEL 44. 

In fact, if you were to ask me how old I am, I would likely respond "41" (until I did the math).  I am not sure why, but I think I am 41..... or younger.... actually much younger.

When I was 22, I had a buddy who was old...  I mean really old.  Like wife, kids, house, real job.... mini-van old!!!  When I think about that now, I realize that at the time he must have been 28 or 29.

I AM 44!!!!

Now here is the thing:   I don't FEEL like a grown-up (As evidenced by the post below - you can read that later if you need proof).

I do lots of grown-up things..... I have a grown-up job where I have enormous access into people's lives (sometimes at the best times such as weddings and births... sometimes at the worse like emergency rooms and funeral homes)..... and yet I still feel like a kid.  I still feel like I am 22.

Now, I don't mean that in a bad way.... It is not like I feel immature and unprepared to handle life or anything "Dr. Phil" like that...... I have learned lots over the years. My life is great!  This is not your typical, depressing "My life is more than 1/2 over" birthday rant...... I just realize that I don't feel as old as I am.

So the question(s):

1.  Do you feel as old as you are?  (In other words, "Do you feel like an adult?")

2.  If you do, when did that happen?  At an age?  A significant event?  It just happened??  (In answering, please remember that this is a "family blog")

I have always said that birthdays are silly (Congratulations - you were born out of no effort or choice of your own!!!) and I still think that is true.  Maybe that is why I think I have only had 41 of them.... or 36..... or 22..... or whatever.

Happy Birthday to Me!  :)

1 comment:

SRL said...

I get you on the whole not feeling my age thing. One of my girlfriends and I were joking the other day that we must have started having kids when we were 10... it's the only way to explain us having kids as 'old' as they are!
Susanna