So Sari and Megs abandoned us today without so much as a scrap of food in the house (Ok - truth be told she offered not only to stock the fridge with food but also to cook a bunch of meals and leave them for us - we declined because we wanted to pretend to be responsible and capable adults... which may have been a mistake), so Katie and I had to go grocery shopping.
This trip included talking in several strange accents (my favorite being the "Queen's voice" that I do when I imitate Katelyn's Princess tendencies.... "Weeeeee shall not be spoken to about manual labour. Dusting the living room is beneath US!!!!" She tends to like to speak in an excellent "Scottish" accent, but sometimes she mixes in a little "East Indian" (we are not sure why).
The trip also included Kaite saying out loud while standing by the "roasted chicken heater upper thinger".... (Think "Princess voice") "I shall only select the chicken that speaks to me... it must speak my name to be worthy of my notice!" When she said this, an older man, probably in his mid to late sixties, who was standing on the other side of the display thing, literally leaned forward, moved three of the chickens and so that he could peer through the maze of remaining chickens and get a look at the person who would say such a thing.
In fact, it was not the only weird look we got.
Most people smiled at us.... one person laughed at something Katelyn said.... a dude at the meat counter engaged us in random conversation.... and then there was a lady over by the eggs who at first looked at us the way a dog listens to a high pitched sound (head tilled.... odd expression on her face).... then she smiled at us in one of those, "Please don't hurt me" smiles.
And we laughed a lot!!!
Oh - and we bought some semi-healthy food too.
I don't know why Sari complains about grocery shopping. I found it quite entertaining. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment