So for many years I have been a Toronto Maple Leafs fan. I had shirts, hats, banners.... I have still have 21 Borja Salming Hockey cards (all the exact same) from 1979. I went and saw them play in Winnipeg back in 1991 (and they got kicked). Then they signed a whole bunch of players that I could not stand and I had to quit (at some point you have to take a stand or you are just cheering for jerseys and not the players themselves right?)
So I have declared myself a Chicago Blackhawks fan!
Why? Well - good young team - fun to watch - I have had Blackhawk uniforms since I was little (first b/c the Moose Jaw Canucks wore them and then b/c the rec hockey team I played for wore them). I even got my 4th or 5th grade school picture taken while wearing a "Hawks" jersey (I missed the real picture day and I forgot when retake day was - I thought it was cool - it looked like a hockey card! I was even missing some teeth at the time I think) :)
Anyway - Sun 102.3 (our local Fm station) has a new morning DJ and yesterday he declared - on air - that he was a Chicago BlackHawks fan..... and did he get made fun of!!! People kept calling in and asking him what he was thinking, why he was so stupid, etc (oddly enough - he kept playing these calls on the air).
So today he said, "If there is even one Hawks fan in town - please call me!" So that was my chance!!!! A clean break with me Maple leaf loving past!!!! So I called in.......
"Hi this is Sun 102.3"
"Hey, Matt" I said, "I am here to save you"
"What??? Are you a Hawks fan?????"
"Yep! I have two jerseys in the closet - a white one and a red one"
He then accused me of lying - so I had to convince him that I actually knew the players, who was good, what was going on - etc. He was so happy at the end - I think I have a new best friend! :) Sari played it all over the school - people asked if that was me on the radio today.
So the next time I go to the radio station to record "Ministerial Moment" I am going to introduce myself to Matt as "The only other Hawks fan in Southeast Sask". I am sure he will be happy to meet me - either that or he will worry that I am stalking him - one or the other!
So how many people get to declare their changing of hockey allegiance on the air????? It must have been meant to be! :)
PS. I told you that I would post something for 33 straight days - I did not say that they would all be life changing or even interesting. If you are unhappy with this post, I cannot offer you your money back (partially b/c you did not pay for it) but I would be glad to replace this post with a new one tomorrow. Please come back then! :)
1 comment:
Come on I have to cheer for Bertuzzi, it can't get much worse than that!!! D
Post a Comment