Friday, September 27, 2013

Small towns (Blog 15 of 30)

Say what you will about living in a small town, but I like it.

The "Estevan Business Showcase and Collage Cultural Festival" (Say that 10 times fast) started tonight, so the kids and I went (Sari is out of town). I always like Showcase - not so much because of the trade show part of it (I hate shopping) - but because we get to see and meet a lot of people. 

For example, they had a bunch of campers and 5th wheels on display in the courtyard.... first one I walk into I hear "So what are you going to do now that racing season is over?"  It was a guy I know through another buddy of mine (he goes to the races all the time and saw me working out there this year).

Come out of the camper, see a couple from church. Go into the rink, say "hi" to several business people that I know. Walk around the corner and run into a several girls from the kid's soccer team. Go out by the food vendors, get bugged for not showing up to "Noon Hockey" yet.... and on and on it goes.

To some people, that would be really annoying... and I will admit that there are times that I would like to go to Canadian Tire and get out without seeing anyone I know.... but overall I like the community feeling of knowing and being known. 

It is nice and it is fun...... and it is definitely way better than just shopping!

No comments: