I (Tim) did not like biology in school. I preferred physics. It was much more logical and followed rules that made sense. Biological things, on the other hand, did not seem to understand logic.
Prime example: Last night, I played squash for the first time in a year and a half. Logically, I should have been well-rested! I mean, not only have I not played squash in a year and half, I have not done anything in a year and a half (Unless you count watching football on TV.... there is a lot of running up and down the stairs to get snacks when I am doing that).
In this case, physics would talk about "kinetic energy" or "potential energy" (energy that is stored up and ready to be used and converted to action.... or something like that.... I really did not pay attention.). Biologically, that did not seem to make sense to my body.
After only ten minutes, I was sweating badly and had a hard time catching my breath.... and that was when I was still in the locker room getting dressed.
After 4 minutes on the court, I was so sore I could literally feel my spleen aching (and I don't even know where my spleen is). The 20 minutes in I got huge pains on both sides of my body. For a moment, I wondered if I was having a heart attack, but then I realized that the pain was too low to be my heart... unless my heart had jiggled loose and relocated itself - a distinct possibility that had me worried for quite a while too. (A dislocated heart sounds painful and hard to rehab from.)
To get me through, I kept singing "Gang of Rhythm" by "Walk off the earth". It is a funny happy song (if you have never heard it, click here). When exercising I always have a song going through my head. I find it helps my mood and keeps me playing well. I also find that if you sing the words out loud, at the top of your lungs and very off key just as your opponent is about to hit the ball... that helps too.
In addition to all of this, the squash court was so hot that the concession people were actually cooking pizzas in there. I am not kidding! When we opened the door to go in, steam came out! Nothing says "Optimum exercising conditions" like being in a room that is so hot the paint is peeling off the walls. (By the way, do not get the "pizza special" at the leisure centre today.... just saying)
Anyway, I survived and I am sore today. However, I did manage to win 6 of 8 games. Hopefully, that is enough to break my opponent's spirit so that he never calls me to play that silly game again.
Once every year and a half is enough, don't you think? :)
2 comments:
Who did you play squash with? I just want to know who this amazing person is who could beat you twice. Was it a professional??
Hey Justin.... I won't publically throw the guy under the bus, but I will say that (a) he used to live here and (b) if we had played tennis, he likely would have easily reversed that score. :)
Post a Comment