Friday, October 07, 2016

A Question and a Quote (Blog 25 of 30)

While working on my 1973 Dodge Dart Swinger (see here) and changing the oil on my motorcycle for the last time this year, I was reminded of a favorite question of mine and a favorite quote from someone else (I can't remember who).

First, the question (which I may have offered on the blog a while ago)......

"What do you do just for fun?"

Not "What do you do that makes money.... gets you noticed by others.... makes you look cool.... puts you in or out of a certain group"..... but rather "What do you do just because you like to do it?"

My observation (based on many suddenly awkward conversations) is that most people do not have an answer for that question..... and I think that is sad!

I love tinkering on things in my garage.  In fact, building a garage was the best "keep Tim sane" (or as close to sane as he can be) moves ever!!  It is good to have a distraction from your everyday world.  It is fun to learn new things and new skills.  It is good to get off the couch, shut the TV off and go do something useful.

Which leads me to the quote part of this post.  Someone once observed.....

"We used to be known for what we produced and now we like to be known for what we consume".

The blacksmith (for example) used to be respected because he could make anything you needed (well, anything out of iron..... you may not have wanted him to bake you a cake).  People earned respect as craftsmen or for making farm implements or clothing or........  now we brag about what we bought, got to go watch or where we have been

Don't get me wrong, I am all for entertainment and having a good time - I just think it is healthy to be able to get to the end of the day and say, "I did ___________" whatever that blank is (That is why I write this blog.  It keeps family and friends up to date with our lives but it is fun too - especially the stupid and silly stuff.  I like the challenge of coming up with stuff, seeing stuff differently etc).

So, let me ask you.....

What do you do for fun?

What are you making today?

If the answers to those two questions come to mind quickly, I would say that you are well on your way.

No comments: